1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XBOX Repair (Flashing Red And Green)

Discussion in 'Games' started by Wheely34, Oct 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Wheely34

Wheely34 Thread Starter

I have an Xbox that is in need of repair. This is my first "modern system". I repair NESs, SNESs, etc. When I turn the Xbox on, it goes to a screen that tells me there's something wrong and I need to contact customer support. The light in the front flashes red and green. I was also told that a number should come up on the top left corner of the screen, telling you what the problem is? Well, this number did not show up.

I have the Xbox apart now, but don't know how to diagnose it. What does the flashing Red and Green mean? Thanks.

2. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

Have you checked the manual?

3. Wheely34

Wheely34 Thread Starter

Dont have one. My cousin gave this to me when he moved, figured I try and fix it. I just fully disassembled it and gave it a very thorough cleaning. I was almost positive that wouldn't do anything, but I figured I'd try anyway. I plugged it back in and the same problem still occured. I had the top cover off and put my eear up to the DVD drive. It seems like it may be making a funny noise plus, it also seems it keeps turning on and off a few times.

I can't compare this to a properly functioning Xbox. I don't have one and have never owned one.

4. iLLegaL89

iLLegaL89

5. Super-D-38

Super-D-38

Here is a direct link to the led messages.
    http://www.xbox-scene.com/articles/leds.php

Read one person solved this by using a "soft mod" but that could be under the TSG no no stuff, so I won't link to the post. Though he/she has yet to explain how it was done.

Not sure if it's going to be a self fixer.. :(

From here; http://www.xboxrepairservice.com/errorcodes.html

6. iLLegaL89

iLLegaL89

well ye a softmod is usually changing the BIOS to boot another operating system, much like a chip

*delete this if its not aloud*

but when i soldered my ( legal ) chip to my xbox, i got FRAG'd, had to keep re doing it tilll it booted up, so im pretty sure his xbox was chipped :p ( my xbox would boot up like 3 times then turn off aswell )

7. foneguy9

foneguy9

I had this same 'xmas' tree light up on my XBOX. I checked the web sites referenced above and finally ended up sending the XBOX to http://llamma.com/xbox/ . I called them first and asked for what options I have available and they repaired it for a moderate price.

My XBOX has been running great with no problems. I also asked them to install a bigger fan and faster DVD drive so that my games will load up faster. They also upgraded my HDD, 120 GIG(I just shipped it in the box for them to install).

Just a thought....

8. djkooldown

djkooldown

Dear Super-D-38,
    Thank you for posting the error code about the xbox.
    I was about to throw my xbox away and I figured I throw it away or sell it to llama, but you helped me and probably help many other .
    Thank You,
    djkooldown(y) (y) (y) :) :) :) :D :D :D

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/510029