1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

xbox s won't turn on, rf board

Discussion in 'Games' started by crayc, Feb 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. crayc

crayc Thread Starter

So i bought a new rf board thinking it was that. opened my xbox to install it and it did not work. xbox won't turn on. orange light stays orange. so i unplugged the board lifted the motherboard out of the case and stuck the rf board back in, but with the lips overlapping and it turned on. so i put everything back in the case and it did not work again. it only works if you position the rf board a certain way. i can now get it to turn on. just can't get it to stay on. i tried turning it on with a wired controller. the fan turns on for a second. no ping noise. maybe i should squeeze the connector on the mb with a plier so it could make better contact. please help thanks

Attached Files:

2. crayc

crayc Thread Starter

thinking of sticking aluminum foil where the pins on maybe its not reaching the contacts

3. crayc

crayc Thread Starter

no solutions? is it not supposed to turn on with a wired controller and no rf card in there.

4. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Sounds like a short somewhere or some other contacts are touching.

5. crayc

crayc Thread Starter

thanks coriant. so that means i have to find the part that the rf board goes into on the mb. i have 2 rf boards so its not the rf boards. ugh is there anything else i could do here thanksagain

6. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    So to confirm, it works fine when out of the XBOX case?

7. crayc

crayc Thread Starter

no. the first time i took it out of the case to test it, it turned on just fine and stood on until i unplugged it to seat it back in and after that all i can get now is a fast turn on with the beeps and all and the light changing green on the power brick. another thing to note is when i place the rf board in the spot where you touch to make it open becomes ultra hot instantly. the spot above where the faceplate cable goes. i can't get it to start at all seated properly. only when i overlap the lips of the rf board. when i do this, that spot is not hot any more.

8. crayc

crayc Thread Starter

guessing no one has any solutions to fix this. should take a bat to it then

9. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    I can't see why it would work outside of the case, but heats up instantly/doesn't work inside... there has to be a bad connection/short somewhere. Unfortunatley I don't have a XBOX so I haven't come across this issue.

10. crayc

crayc Thread Starter

let me clarify. it worked when i some how put that rf board in the wrong way just once. can't get it to go on again.just turns on for like a second when i move that rf board around. ugh xbox sucks think its time to give it a good pounding

11. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    The heat thing is the thing that troubles me. Perhaps there is a store nearby that can take a look at it? Otherwise you can always get a 2nd hand one :)

12. crayc

crayc Thread Starter

no stores. well going to stick aluminum foil inside it see if maybe its cause its not making contact with the contacts

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1090271

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice