1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XBox The New King??

Discussion in 'Random Discussion' started by hamster, Dec 27, 2001.

Mark Solved
Advertisement
  1. hamster

hamster Guest Thread Starter

Wow!! I saw the Previews videos with actual moving screen shots on their website and it blew my mind!!

Everything is so fast and fluid, you have to check out the game Dead or Alive 3 wow!!

I think it really beats Playstation 2, But I guess Playstation 2 is really really stubborn, because they won't drop their prices.

But I guess you guys are not game crazy as me :(

Wow, it's very impressive!! What do you guys think??

I'm still shady about it because it's an american system and lots of good games are from Japan, so I'm worry about 3rd parties not making games for it. but Nanco is going with the game plan, goody!!

2. Foamer

Foamer Guest Thread Starter

The game machine that is on top is not necesarily driven by the exellence of said machine.

Remember the "Dreamcast"?

The Playstation2 will probibly stay on top for a long time.
    Reason being that Playstation2 not only plays newer games but all of the older Playstation games too. Being that the world is floaded with Playstation games... The fact that Playstation2 will play the older games quells the fears of obsolecence.

Let it be known though that nationality has little to do with how good the graphics and playabilaty of a game machine are. The buzz is that the XBOX is on top of the heap on that. But they are also in limated quanity. Billy boy screwed up on that one.

XBOX, Game cube has an uphill battle to say the least.

3. hamster

I went back to the xbox site and you know what, it was only for that Game, Dead or Alive (Japenese Game).......Mostly the rest were american games and the graphics are so so, not so great.

It's all about being powerful with silicon graphics, of course with the supply of games too.. X box has a long way to go, but it does have lots of power.

Playstation 2 will defintely last quite a while.

As for American Vs. Japenese Games. I totally Disagree!!!

Yes, Americans do have some decent graphics for some games.

But really Japenese Games Graphics and Games really dominant in quality and Performance.

Games like Devil may Cry, Tekken and Dead or Alive, Resident Evil!! and of course Metal Gear Solid, Final Fanasty!! They really really work hard on the game play and graphics

While a lot of american games, the graphics are very lame and cheesy. Tomb Raider, Rainbox Six, the graphics just yuck, really.

I'm not putting down american games (Max Payne Rules!!) but Japenese Games are defintely more well prepared and have much much better commitment in being made.

If the game is not up to their quality, they would erase it and start brand new!! while american games are rush out to beat a deadline or to make a quite buck.

4. hamster

Also with Japenese Cartoons on tv too.. (I'm talking about TV and not movies)

Many of our American Cartoons are just just terrible!! Like Batman Returns and etc.. They look so cheesy and one dimenson while the Japenese Cartoons are very Colorful and glossy!!! What a difference!! :( oh well.....

5. Foamer

Foamer Guest Thread Starter

The "look" of the "Animae" design is what your talking about. In the cartoon relm "Im a amature cartoon animator by the way" I would have to disagree.

Japanise cartoons are animated "Sort of".
    They cut frame rates and the animation is so terrible at times as to be un-watchable. They do a much better job in the movies.
    Let it be known that I don't find the fair on "Nic" and the "Cartoon network" as a design marvle. As a matter of fact I find those cartoons of poor design too. But at least they move with a "fluid motion". And don't jump from frame to frame like a slide show. American animation is far superior. As far as the "Animae" look, I would have to agree it is conducive to the gameing platform and creats a good look and feel.

I would also say that there is many rumbleings that all the best American game makers for years have been systematicly locked out of making games on the Japenese gaming platforms. You can see this on PC games where the graphics "By my account" are stunning. I find it facinating that you can't play Sonic or any other of the signature gaming platform games on a PC. They don't make them for a PC. They don't cross platform. They keep there best games for the game machines only. Then they lock out the compitition. Otherwise why are the "BEST" games for the PC made by American game manufacturers?

6. rstanley

rstanley

Hey hamster, Jap anime is not so great, haven't you seen Dragon ball Z, the fps is to choppy. Now the majority like anime, or atleast some of my friends, because of hentai. Also whats this about american games graphics being poor. Havent you played baulders gate or even half life. You can't compare those games that you mention, for they are all of different genre. Rpgs should not be compared to a 1st person shooter. No offence me, I'm just stating my oppinion on the subject.

7. hamster

Hey you guys got me all wrong!! I'm not into animay but I was just watching the American Cartoons and it's like terrible!! man, yuck.

The colorings are very dull and the faces are just drawn like a third grader can.. compare to the japenese cartoons it's more colorful and more stylist.

I'm not saying all american cartoons are but a lot of them are!! Just take a look at them!! And I'm not talking about movies because American Movies rock!!!

American games are great but... sometimes the graphics need more work compare to the japenese games! Resident Evil compare to Alone in the Dark??

Half-life.... Solider of Fortune is great games but compare the graphics to the other jap graphics.

8. rstanley

rstanley

Hamster, we all have are own oppinions, and we all can't agree on everything. To me I feel half life looks better than all the ps2 games i've seen. Have you played Hallo, its a great game.

By the way, i like your hamster icon. Nice, very nice. hamsters are my all time favorite pets. I just let them run loose and chew on my carpet.:)

9. Rockn

Rockn

Just a glorified PC if you ask me! MaximumPC had a review of the XBOX and a custom PC they built and if I remember correctly the only things the XBOX won on was price and the Video chipset. You can buy better parts on the street and the only reason they are cheaper is volume sales. Games are kind of expensive don't ya think...that's where they make the money.

American cartoons suck so bad becasue the animators and writers have no freedom to do what they want. Bleeding heart yuppy liberals squash the content so absolutely no one could ever possible be offended...isn't that the point of animation and charachature...to have FUN!! Bring back the good old days when you could slam someone in the head with a hammer and they would get the big thobber thing....LOL Anyone remember the cartoon Go-Go Gophers.....bet the human rights, ASPCA, PETA zealots would have a field day with that one if it came out today.

PETA....People Eat Tasty Animals

10. deuce

deuce

I'm not too impressed with XBOX. Game Cube might have a chance, but I haven't used it all that much. Unfortunatly PS2 hasn't come down in price but I must agree it is still on top, and deservably so. The thing I don't like about the XBOX the most is the big clunky controllers, and that big clunky console... they must lose those in order to climb the big hill to beat PS2!

11. cjreed64

cjreed64

I'm very much into games. I've always been a Nintendo fan myself, but I have nothing against any other console. I always go for "gameplay over graphics". I just like Nintendo's games. They are fun. That is not saying Nintendo's machine can't put out some sweet graphics.......

<a href="http://cubemedia.ign.com/media/previews/image/starfoxa/fur1.jpg">Star Fox Adventures</a>
    <a href="http://cubemedia.ign.com/media/previews/image/rogueleader/rogueyum3.jpg">Star Wars Rogue Leader: Rogue Squadron 2</a>

This is the way next-gen systems are ranked power-wise:

1) XBox $300
    2) GameCube $200
    3) PS2 $300

Obviously this shows that people don't care too much about power since the PS2 is in the lead (popularity-wise).

-Chris

12. deuce

deuce

Ok I must give ya that one. Although I like the PS2 over the GameCube and Nintendo, I do like a lot of Nintendo's games more than Sony's. Doesn't the PS2 use a P4 in it? Not sure but that is what I heard last year.

13. cjreed64

cjreed64

I like the PS2 also. I just enjoy Nintendo's games more.

Xbox uses a P3. PS2 uses a custom-made CPU called the "Emotion Engine". This goes to show that XBox is made up of PC parts made to play games. Both the PS2 and the GCN are made up of parts designed to play games.

-Chris

14. brianF

brianF

I think the console you buy depends on the type of games you like.

Currently we have nintendo, dreamcast, ps2, xbox. I know I am forgetting one, oh well.

PS2 is pretty good, xbox and halo are great

15. cjreed64

cjreed64

That is exactly what I think. I enjoy a lot of the laid-back, colorful, so-called "kiddy" games. (i.e. Mario and Zelda) That is why I stick with Nintendo. I enjoy the occasional "mature" game. (i.e. Halo) They just seem to have mostly that kind of game on the PS2 and Xbox, and I don't want to go without Mario. ;) Though Halo and DOA3 are awesome. Not to mention MGS2 and FFX on PS2.

Brian, you got all the next-gen consoles. Dreamcast is not much of a competitor anymore, but it is a decent system.

-Chris

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/63061

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice