1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

xbox360 hard drive malfunction

Discussion in 'Games' started by axuello, Dec 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. axuello

axuello Thread Starter

i've been having a problem with my xbox360 hard drive and i was hoping someone could give me an idea of how to fix it. my xbox
    does not recognize any memory stored on my hard drive and i cannot access any of my info however it does say that space is being used and it still has the same amount of free space as before. does anyone know if i can retrieve my saves?

2. Super-D-38

Super-D-38

There is a transfer cable you can get to pull your info from an old drive to a new one. Though, we don't know how damaged yours may be.
    Other options would be to find software to access the drive on a PC but not sure where to get it or if it's even allowed by Microsoft.

You can do a few tests maybe.. Remove and reinstall the drive. (Never know if it could be a loose or dirty connection)
    Try your drive on a friends XBox and try their drive in yours. That should show if the drive is bad or your console is having trouble. If your friends drive works, put yours back in and see if there is still a problem.
    If your drive can't be read, last hope may be to try a transfer kit to a new drive.

3. gurutech

gurutech

My son has the same problem with his Xbox hard drive.

Ended up opening the case for it (was already out of warranty, so no loss of that), and connecting it to a PC (inside the case is a SATA "laptop" hard drive). Ran some disk utilities on it, and was able to "recover" the bad clusters, enough that he can restore game saves, etc... from it.

I'd suggest NOT to do this unless your warranty is already expired, because doing so will void the warranty if there is one. As suggested before, a transfer kit would be the best option, they are $20 from the Xbox 360 store. http://www.microsoftstore.com/store...goryID.50790100/categoryID.57399000/list.true

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1082914

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice