1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XCopy and the Exclude list

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Alex Ethridge, Oct 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge Thread Starter

Where can I find information on the formatting of XCopy's exclude list?

I need answers to questions such as:
    • Are absolute paths allowed in the exclude file?
    • Are network paths allowed (Example: \\computer1\d\*.tmp)?
    • What is the format for skipping all folders named "TEMP" regardless of path or depth in the directory structure?
    • Are wildcards allowed and if so where are they allowwed and disallowed?
    Is there a resource on the 'net that gives this kind of complete detail on usage? I guess what I'm looking for is an exclude list manual.

2. jdean

jdean

Here's some additional information on xcopy but it's certainly not complete:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb491035.aspx

Presuming that xcopy is not going to be powerful enough for you, you might want to check out Microsoft's Robocopy (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robocopy). If Robocopy isn't quite right for you, there are plenty of other copy programs out there with varying degrees of flexibility and power (but you'll have to search to find them).

If you're trying to do copy operations on a regular basis, you might also want to check out some of the simpler backup utilities such as SyncBack (http://www.2brightsparks.com/freeware/index.html) which allow you to create profiles for each copy operation.

3. Alex Ethridge

About as regular as regular can be. I have been using XXCopy Pro to synchronize files across my network every two hours for about five years. It uses an exclude file (simple text) that allows wild cards and all sorts of other settings that are about as flexible as one could imagine.

Problem is it crashes chronically on Vista, or outright fails to copy files even though the display shows (falsely) that it is copying. I've been in close touch with the developer, helping him in his attempt to solve the problem; but, there has been no progress.

I need a replacement for XXCopy and the exclude file is a very important part of the mix. If I don't find a suitable replacement, I have a tremendous amount of reconfiguration work and rewriting of batch files ahead of me. It just about has to be a command-line utility as that is about the only thing that offers the configurability I need.

4. jdean

jdean

It still might be worth looking at SyncBack (SE or Pro version). There's a GUI for creating profiles but I'm reasonably certain that this (and in fact, most every) copy program can be invoked from the command line. The product is feature-rich, seems to be very well regarded, and from the browsing I've done on their forum, it seems well supported.

The chronic crashing is a bit worrisome because file copy isn't the kind of thing that you'd expect to be flakey (unless perhaps you're using some kind of funky/nonstandard network filesystem). You might want to dig deeper to see if there's something else going on. I would check out the event log to see if there's more information or anything else correlated with the problem. I'd also run chkdsk on the source and destination filesystems to see if there's something wrong there. It would be a real waste of time if you converted your batch files only to find that the new program had the same problems.

5. Alex Ethridge

I don't think anything else is going on as XCopy works well across the network between Vista and 2000/XP computers. Nothing funky about the network, unless you consider (as I do) that Vista is in itself funky.

I'll take a look at SyncBack.

Thanks.

6. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

http://commandwindows.com/xcopy.htm has a fairly good explanation, Google xcopy exclude will find lots of hits.

Most of the above is just based on my own experimenting and use of xcopy and exclude.

Robocopy is included with Vista.
    Robocopy has the /XF (exclude files) and /XD (exclude directories) switches which do work with wildcards. It's certainly not a drop in replacement though, would require some re-writing of your batch files, and modifying your exclude files. Mainly just identifying the switches to mimic what you are doing now.

HTH

Jerry

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/759454

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice