1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XCOPY - copying data from master to slave

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Yankee Rose, Feb 4, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yankee Rose

Yankee Rose Thread Starter

Hi guys:

Have an HP Pavilion with a 4 GB master hard drive. Just installed a Maxtor 20 GB as slave (formatted and everything - works fine). I'd like to copy the contents of the master to the slave to use the new 20 GB as master (and use the 4 GB elsewhere). I inserted my boot disk and at the DOS prompt typed in XCOPY /? and keep getting an error message. Any ideas? It keeps telling me "CDR101: Not ready reading drive F: Abort/Retry/Fail" My master drive is C and my slave is D.

Thanks for your help!!

2. brianF

brianF

3. Mugsy

Mugsy

Would need some more info to respond correctly but I will take a shot.

When it boots, if you are at the a: prompt and xcopy is not on your floppy and you do not have a path statement in your autoexec.bat then it wouldn't be able to find the xcopy command.

At the a: prompt you could cd c:\windows\command and then use the xcopy command with know problems.

I am guessing that your boot disk might be setting up a ramdrive and this might be causing your error. Your ramdrive is probably g: now and your CDRom is f:, your bootdisk is trying to read the ramdrive as f: which is now your CDRom. Probably in your autoexec.bat there would be a statement setting up your ramdrive as f:, edit it and change it to g:.

But if you change directories or type path=c:\windows\command at the a: prompt you will be OK! Only thing is you need to use all of the correct switches to do the job properly. Maybe should even be using xcopy32.exe.

As suggested by brianF there is good software that will allow you to do this more efficiently.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/67695

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice