1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

xdrive connectivity

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by manross, Jul 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. manross

manross Thread Starter

I am trying to connect Xdrive desktop but my Windows firewall has blocked all my attempts. Xdrive customer service is worse than useless. I keep getting an "error 53, the network path was not found". I have added the two xdrive .exe's to the allowed applications with Windows firewall but this hasn't worked. any ideas would be appreciated.

2. Doctor Xdrive

Doctor Xdrive

Hello Manross,

If you allow the following (xdrive.exe, xdrsmb.exe, xdrunner.exe) as expections. Then allow the (Loopback Connection for Xdrive / Microsoft Loopback Adapter) from the Networking tab, we used the wizard and it auto popluated the (Loopback Connection for Xdrive / Microsoft Loopback Adapter)after that completely exit the Xdrive Desktop Application and then you should be good to go, when you re-lanuch and connect.

:cool:

3. manross

manross Thread Starter

Thanks - I have allowed the 3 .exes but don't understand part ii:

"Then allow the (Loopback Connection for Xdrive / Microsoft Loopback Adapter) from the Networking tab, we used the wizard..."

which Networking Tab are you referring to.

4. Doctor Xdrive

Doctor Xdrive

Error Code 53 is caused by Norton Internet Security (NIS) or Norton Personal Firewall. Use the wizard in side of either one of them and add the LoopBack Adpater as an exception from the Networking tab, normally the wizard will have the LoopBack Adapter auto populated already, depending on the version.

I have a PDF file with Step by Step Instructions but it's 769+ KBs, more then what the forums will allow me to attach (200KBs).

Give me your email address and I'll forward it to you.

Thanks and Best Regards, Doctor Xdrive

5. igroppe

igroppe

If you could help me out please:

I am using Trend Micro PC cillin and I think I understand what I need to do in order to allow the Xdrive apps to access the Internet.

But besides I have in the Taskbar a Local Area Connection with the name "Loopback Connection for XDrive Speed:10 Mbps Status: Limited or No Connectivity".

Would you know I can make the XDrive apps work?

Thanks in advance

Ingmar

6. Doctor Xdrive

Doctor Xdrive

Hello Ingmar,

First you have to allow the three .exe files as exceptions in the Third Party Application that you have running on the machine that is protecting you from harmful and malicious applications.

For the LoopBack Connection for Xdrive, sounds like it's having issues with getting the IP address that we assign to it (10.254.254.253) and the subnet mask (255.255.255.252).

My suggestion would be to disable and enable this LoopBack Adapter and see if that allows it to obtain it's IP address. Some Third Party Applications will also block this LoopBack Adapter from accessing the Internet, so it too will need to be allowed as an exception in that application.

Not sure how that's done in PC-cillin but together I am sure that we can figure it out. In order to move forward if you provide me with your Xdrive information, like, username, first and last name, phone number, last four digits of the card on file to the following email address ([email protected]) then we can start from there.

7. manross

manross Thread Starter

I have Norton Anti-Virus but have neither Personal Firewall nor any other Norton product. I can see no networking tab in Norton Anti-Virus. please advise.

I'd rather not give my email address in the forum - please advise how I can get it to you.

Thanks

8. rherrera

rherrera

Hi,

Based on what you said about the firewall, shouldn't it work if I disable the firewall?

I disable my Symantec firewall and I still get the error 53 when connecting to via the x-drive desktop software.

Thanks for your help in advance.
    Raul

9. Doctor Xdrive

Doctor Xdrive

Hello Raul,

Error Code 53 is caused by Norton Internet Security (NIS) and it's suite of applications, like the Norton Personal Firewall application built into NIS, from what we know.

You have to allow the three executable files (xdrive.exe, xdrsmb.exe, xdrunner.exe) in any other Third Party Application that you have loaded on your PC, when you are using the Xdrive Desktop Application.

What Third Party Application do you have loaded on your PC?

10. rherrera

rherrera

I am trying to rule out problems being caused by my 3rd party firewall, "Symantec Client Firewall". I figured I could do that by disabling it, but I still get the same error after disabling.

Thanks for your help.

11. rherrera

rherrera

Does anybody know if I disable my firewall, shouldn't I be able to connect to x-drive?

12. Doctor Xdrive

Doctor Xdrive

In order to allow the Xdrive Desktop Application V5.1 to work with third party applications you have to allow the following executables as exceptions:

xdrive.exe/xdrunner.exe/xdrsmb.exe/aolsoftware.exe

Also you will need to allow the Microsoft Loopback Adapter that has the following IP address (10.254.254.253) and the subnet mask (255.255.255.252).

13. kalisun

kalisun

It "should" have solved your problem, but I have found that there are some firewall programs (Nortons being one of them) that sometimes are still running in the background, even tho you shutdown/disabled it...

I would say, if "possible" look at "uninstalling" your firewall program and see if X-drive goes through..if it does, then reinstall firewall program and see if it keeps the connection open...

14. Labyrintho

Labyrintho

Doctor Xdrive,

Are you still around? Is there an updated version of your advice for NIS 2008 and for the most recent versions of Xdrive software?

Many thanks!

Labyrintho

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/487474

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice