1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Xerox Phaser 8500 print quality - fuzzy print

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by tchandler, Sep 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tchandler

tchandler Thread Starter

I have been operating this color printer for 3 years now in our small business. over the past year, we have erratic problems with fuzzy print..
    Typically, the first page may be fuzzy( dots or ink below character) and the resy may be OK ... Or occasionally, a page or two in the middle of a print job may be fuzzy.
    WE have had techs spend many hours, replacing parts, cleaing the drum and whle the quality is improved (not as fuzzy, we stll get an occasional page with this problem.
    This has been a good printer.. the solid ink is easy to maintain and the overall ink cost seems less than other color printers we have had.

Should I junk this machine?

2. arknorth

arknorth

Two things I see when checking their site - Having used one of these beasties, I remember that the waste tray must be cleaned regularly, or you start getting backup and crummy images from this type of machine. The other is that there is a firmware upgrade for certain model printheads - you might want to see it you's is one of these. You'll find the documentaion here - http://www.office.xerox.com/printers/color-printers/phaser-8500-8550/sprt-enus.html#en

A-N

3. tchandler

tchandler Thread Starter

Actually our printer makes very little waste ..
    I clean the waste tray regularly but there are only a few dots of ink in there*(Xerox had a firmware upgrade that minimizes waster ink which i applied last year)

There are no further upgrdaes for my model.. We have had techs in here adjusst the imtimg(??) but after a few days we get 1 out 05, or 3 out of 10, or 3 of 3 pages that are fuzzy intermixed with perfectly sharp pages.. Drives people in the office crazy...

This machine is going on eBay after i use up the ink nad we will get a new color laser for the office.. Any suggestions i really like the solid ink but IM afrais to go to Xerox again.

Tom

4. arknorth

arknorth

There's not too many brick-types out there, and the only other heavy-duty color I've worked with on a network is Canon, who do make excellent machines, but they tend to be the size of small cars, and need more care than a fully packed nursing home. On the smaller but quality side, Okidata makes a number of nice poly-based toner machines that will give you brick-type results using a powder - trouble is that you still need to replace drums in them, and that can get expensive.

I would not rule out Xerox Phasers on one machine's record. You may have found that one in a million dog unit. The one's I've worked with are work horses, with the odd boner thrown in, as any machine like these can drop from time to time.

A-N

5. tchandler

tchandler Thread Starter

Thanks for the comments.. If no one else has seen this problem, i would surmise that this is not a chronic probelm with the phasers, so maybe ill give them another shot

6. On-Line

On-Line

It's Dec 08 and I have found this post. I say that because I've been looking for someone that has the same problem for a long Time. (Sept 08)
    I have gone through the same things with no improvement
    I wonder if you have seen this on your print outs.
    Only the Horizontal lines of a character are fuzzy/ show dots on the upper part of the line. IE: the letter T The vert is sharp. The Horizontal has dots or lines coming out of only the upper edge.
    Have you heard of anything else?
    Let see if I print this and it's 3 pages long wil the first, second or third page be fuzzy. Ugh, I'v lost count. Gad this is crazy.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/752897

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice