1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Xfinity Gateway modem

Discussion in 'Networking' started by DKTaber, Jan 13, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. DKTaber

DKTaber Thread Starter

My cheap 150n D-Link DIR 601 router is at least 4 years old and has suddenly gotten to the point where it delivers only 19% of the download speed delivered by the Arris modem (90-95Mbps). My ISP is Comcast/Xfinity so I'm thinking about swapping the modem for a Gateway combination modem/router (Comcast allows you to do that free and it does not increase your charges). However, I'd like to know from anyone who has one how satisfied you are with the router side of that modem. I.e., what % of the "hard-wired" speed do you get with wireless connections?

2. hewee

hewee

Works good here. You get WiFi too.

I pay for 50 MB speed.

http://speedtest.comcast.net/

[​IMG]

Wifi I get 15.12 Mbps down and 1.98 up but not sure if I am getting it from my own or the share WiFi because Wifi is all new to me so I may not have it set up right.
    The Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 I just got is what I used and that is first thing I got like this so it's all new to me too.

3. DKTaber

DKTaber Thread Starter

Well, your wireless devices are getting only 25% of the speed coming into your modem. Not great, because I'm getting ~20% now with what I think is a failing router. Until last week, I was getting 40% (90Mbps at the modem, 36Mbps measured on my laptop).

Is that the speed you get when you measure it on your Galaxy right next to the modem? It's important to measure it that way, not in a place where the signal has to get thru walls and floors.

4. CoolBurn

CoolBurn

Far as the wired side you should see 80-90% of your advertised speed during peak times. Off peak can range from 85-120%
    Now the wireless side is a different story, Comcast's (TG862) equipment is horrid when it comes to signal/coverage which will have a dramatic impact on your speeds. Just to note this is based off of my experience with the Arris TG862 gateway from Comcast.

5. DKTaber

DKTaber Thread Starter

"Horrid" meaning what % of the wired side?

6. hewee

hewee

Yes I am right next to the modem.

But I am not sure I did things right for the WiFi on Comcast account and the Galaxy. Went across the street and I could not get online. It said I was out of range. I may have turned off the WiFi to my account and just getting the Free WiFi from the Modem.

7. CoolBurn

CoolBurn

A far as the TG682 the best I could ever get was 40% from the advertised speed using WIFI. The biggest turn off for me about the TG682 is it's actual coverage.

Actually swapped out a TG682 with a SB6141 and RT—N66 (running dd-wrt) at my girlfriends sisters place today.

Before looking at the pictures note the following:

Comcast Speed Tier is 50Mbps
    Laptop Wireless Adapter - Atheros 9002 Wireless N 1x1 (old and basic)
    All speed test are done through Kali-Linux OS, so no Anti-Virus, Firewall or any other 3rd party programs to limit bandwidth. Also the only device connected and sitting about 13 feet from the router location.
    I played with the settings on both the TG682 and RT-N66 to get the best speeds I could.

Attached Files:

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1141125

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice