Xfinity Static IP Cost

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

jobe2433

Hello, Comcast has a plan that allows home-based small businesses the option of getting a static IP address. From what I was reading most folks are paying anywhere from 15 to 60 a year to have this feature. Xfinity just quoted me 263.5 a month.

I think I am going to try the Dynamic DNS, I just think I have confused myself now. Do others have goodluck with a DDNS service?

Couriant

James
I think the quote would be for 5 IP addresses, not 1. If it's 1, then you better get blazing speeds.

zx10guy

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
It's a quote for a block of 5. And there is no such thing as getting any statics for residential service. I know. I checked with Comcast. The only way to get static IPs is to convert your service as a business class circuit. That's why you're getting a quote for such a high monthly. When I got the break down of the charges, the static IP was only a small portion of the monthly bill. I seem to recall about $15 a month. The rest is the circuit itself. For the amount of pricing per month, you're definitely getting less speed per dollar spent on business class service. I was considering the move because I was needing multiple public IPs to support a project where I wanted to run multiple site to site VPN tunnels. I figured out a work around which didn't require multiple public IPs.

I've been running dynamic DNS for years now which for the vast majority of home/small business users is enough to get you by.

jobe2433

It's a quote for a block of 5. And there is no such thing as getting any statics for residential service. I know. I checked with Comcast. The only way to get static IPs is to convert your service as a business class circuit. That's why you're getting a quote for such a high monthly. When I got the break down of the charges, the static IP was only a small portion of the monthly bill. I seem to recall about $15 a month. The rest is the circuit itself. For the amount of pricing per month, you're definitely getting less speed per dollar spent on business class service. I was considering the move because I was needing multiple public IPs to support a project where I wanted to run multiple site to site VPN tunnels. I figured out a work around which didn't require multiple public IPs.

I've been running dynamic DNS for years now which for the vast majority of home/small business users is enough to get you by.
Thank you!
Now I have gotten myself so confused on setting it up after I have paid for the plan with No-IP .,,, I am an over-thinker ha

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online