1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XML Parsing error: not well formed

Discussion in 'Linux and Unix' started by neos1, Apr 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. neos1

neos1 Thread Starter

Location: chrome://mozapps/content/plugins/pluginInstallerWizard.xul
    Line Number 1, Column 1

Hey,
    A funny thing happened the other day, after my harddrive crashed, I tried to reload XPHome -several times -
    now I've been looking at this copy of ubuntu that has been
    laying on my desk for about 3 weeks that my uncle had sent. Not thinking much of
    it I mean hey, its free how good could it be? Well I was up against the wall. I couldn't
    access the internet without an OS and I couldn't get Billy boy's to work, so I slipped
    that CD into the player (about an hour and a half ago) and whatdoyouknow.

Thought you guys might get a chuckle out of it.

Here's my question. I tried to load a plugin into Firefox and I get the message
    referenced above. How do I fix it?

Oh, and one other question. I didn't lose my files because I had them backed on a external. But all of the
    Firewall/Anti-Virus software is gone. Can I use the same programs as with Windows? Does ubuntu come packaged
    with a Firewall/Anti-virus product?

2. dpak

dpak

Not too sure about the Firefox plugin problem, but to answer your other question, you can use *some* programs from Windows on Linux, but only by using a special emulation program (such as Wine). As for your AV and firewall, no, the Windows versions of those products won't work on Linux.

The Linux kernel comes with builtin firewall functionality and I believe Ubuntu has a simple firewall script enabled by default (but I could be wrong). If not, you can download something like this which will work just fine...

http://security.linux.com/article.pl?sid=05/01/03/2250258

For antivirus, there are several antivirus packages available free for Linux (I have several of them listed on the website in my signature). I believe Grisoft also recently released AVG antivirus (free) for Linux which I haven't had a chance to post on the site yet.

3. neos1

neos1 Thread Starter

DPAK,
    I hate to admit my ignorance but your giving instructions to an XP moron.
    I haven't a clue as to how to download Firestarter and install it. I've yet to
    be able to open a terminal mode because when I go to Applications>SystemTools
    there is nothing listed as Terminal. Is it Root Terminal? Then do I type in the cmd
    sudo get-app Firestarter? Or do I have to download the app then copy the cmd
    into root terminal?
    I know this much: if windows were outlawed the super hiway of the internet would
    look like a ghost town.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/462800

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice