XP – Unable to open any programs???

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

CelesteKeiko

I’m unable to run almost all of the programs on my laptop. I get the following error message:

“This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Create an association in the Folder Options control panel”

I can open some programs, such as WORD or Publisher if I click on a saved document. But these programs do not open if I click on the taskbar, desktop icon, or program startup icon.

I cannot open or run System Restore, even in safe mode. It will start in safe mode, but once it gets to the point in the process where it reboots the computer I get a message that the computer is unable to open rstu.exe (or whatever the system restore file is called).

I’m running XP. Here’s what I’ve tried so far:

· Virus scan: clean
· Ad-Aware Pro SE scan: clean
· Re-set folder associations to default in Control Panel Folder Options
· Reinstall MS Office
· MS Knowledge base

I’m out of ideas. Any suggestions on what to do besides wipe out the hard drive and do a clean reinstall of Windows XP and start from scratch?

Do you use ad watch ? (part of Adaware) I have run into this problem before with Adaware Pro.

Will the exe files open if you run them directly from there location. IE: Click on the exe in the program folder and not on the shortcut.

CelesteKeiko

Yes, I use ad watch. I also suspected that could be part of the problem, so I deleted it and deleted Adaware. (I'll reinstall after resolving this problem).

No, the exe files won't open if I try to run them directly from their location.

CelesteKeiko

This afternoon I just did a Windows XP repair installation. But the problem is still there.

Any other ideas?

CelesteKeiko

EvileYe said:
This Link describes a variety ways to repair the problem associated with ad watch.
http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/index.php?showtopic=56533
Download and run the fixes on Lines 7 and 15 from here >
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/file_assoc.htm

Let us know how you go after trying to repair the associations.
SUCCESS! At least partial. I have the .exe files working again. But now I have a new problem in the the laptop is suddenly unable to establish (or even detect) its wireless Internet connection. Vanished.

What more do I now need to do to get that working properly?

Are you now able to restore to a previous point, before all the problems began ?

CelesteKeiko

No, I can't restore to a previous point because I did the Windows Repair Install, which erases all previous restore points.

However, I did solve the Internet connection problem myself by uninstalling my wireless card and then rebooting.

So now other than a painfully slow boot process I think my problems are solved. (Fingers crossed)!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online