1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP 100% CPU usage issue

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by jtherose, Jul 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jtherose

jtherose Thread Starter

I am having what seems like random issues with XP that brings my PC to a grinding halt. After performing well and for no apparent reason things get really sluggish. Looking at task manager I notice that CPU usage has spiked to 100% and remains there while programs attempt to open, any and all programs are affected. I've cleaned the registry with Max Registry, used a variety of ad ware and spy ware cleaners, using Norton for virus scan, de-fragged, etc. etc. Just when I am ready to give up and go out and buy new hardware, everything returns to normal, CPU usage varies between 2 and 20%. This could happen after a reboot or not and may work OK for several days. I am getting occasional message that virtual memory is low and windows is adjusting. I check it and it seems to be within parameters.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
    JL

2. Jack Hackett

Jack Hackett

3. jtherose

jtherose Thread Starter

Thanks Jack,

I read the article and took action, hoping that has resolved the issue. I can't really tell at the moment since everything is running normal.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/591523

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice