1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP/2000 networking

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Rebernik, Apr 17, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Rebernik

Rebernik Thread Starter

I have two computers. One running XP, the other running 2000. I need to connect the two so that I can share files between the two. I was told to use the ethernet ports. How do I do that? I don't have a hub.

2. coulterp

coulterp

Cross-over ethernet cable directly connecting the two NICs.

3. telepro21

telepro21

This link offers a good general discussion on the ethernet crossover cable:
    http://www.homenethelp.com/web/explain/about-ethernet-crossover.asp
    After your two pc's are connected with the use of this cross-over cable, that is only step one. Next you need to assign each pc an IP address which is in the same network segment. For example: one might be assigned as 192.168.1.x and the other 192.168.1.y. Remeber that x and y may not be equal to each other or zero. Also, each device will require a subnet mask and this must match so use: 255.255.255.0
    On Win XP (and similarly on Win 2000), go to Start-->My Network Places-->View Network Connections. Find your LAN connection associated with your NIC card connected to your cross-over cable, then Right-click and choose Properties. In the Window, scroll down until you see TCP/IP and then highlight this and click the Properties button which appears below this window. This will open the IP Address dialog window. Select the button which states "Use the following IP Address". Then enter the information as mentioned above. Apply/OK out of all the windows and then do the same, using a different IP address but the same mask, on the other PC.

Also, both PCs need to be in the same Workgroup. By default, Windows assigns the workgroup named: "WORKGROUP", so if no changes have been made, you should be OK.

Hope this helps to get you going.

- Telepro

4. vjain

vjain

hey! what that means is you need 2 etherent/network cards on both of your computers, you should have them knowing that your running windows 2000 and xp. if you dont, go out and by them, only cost around 10-20 each. you will also need 1 ethernet RJ45 cable to connect the towo pc's. also, if you don't have a hub you need one. routers work better IMO, but they both do the same type of job. hope i've helped,
    ~vjain

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/221284

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice