1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP & 2K Phoneline networking not working

Discussion in 'Networking' started by walter929, Jan 24, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. walter929

walter929 Thread Starter

Hi
    I'm running a home network with two pcs. The 2K is sharing the Internet connection with the XP, which works pretty well, it stops working after a couple hours though, in which case I have to restart and then its fine again.

My problem is that I can't access the 2K's shared files and printer, which are shared according to it. The 2K has a Linksys USB Adapter and the XP has a PCI card. File and Printer Sharing is an installed and checked service on the 2K as well as the XP, as well as Client for Microsoft Windows and TCP/IP. homenethelp.com recommended using NetBEUI over any other adapter but XP doesn't support that, and NWLink hasn't proved successfull. Both computers belong to the same workgroup and a user account is set up on the 2K matching the XP. In Network Places on the XP when I try to access the 2K it says the network path was not found. I haven't found any IRC conflicts but I'm not familiar with that to know one for certain.

What baffles me is how I'm writing this from the XP, so ICS is working, but not File and Printer Sharing - which I've uninstalled and reinstalled. Any help is greatly appreciated, or if any other info/settings/attempts need described. Thank you

2. Rikku

Rikku

Are you using XP home or pro?

When you goto Network Places in XP, can you actually see the 2k machine? Then you click on it and it gives you an error?

Whether something is shared or not on the 2k machine, if you have access rights and it shows up in Network Places, you should be able to doubleclick on it and open it up. So its probably not a problem with File Sharing, but with the rights XP has to access the 2k machine.

Maybe try going into the 2k machine, sharing a specific folder then clicking on permissions, browse to the xp machine and set specific permissions for the user from that machine. I think that's possible...

3. walter929

walter929 Thread Starter

Its XP pro. I used to be able to see the 2K in network places, actually it was in view workgroup computers. Now when I click view workgroup computers it says the network path was not found. When I search for computers on the network it lists the 2K but when double-clicking it replies 'the network path was not found'.

I checked into the permissions on the 2K, a specific folder I want to share was set to everyone, I tried adding my account on the XP but it says 'Unable to lookup new user names for the display'.

Thanks for replying, hopefully you have some more ideas. Thanks.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/66280

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice