1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP 3+ minute reboot.

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by longbone, Nov 25, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. longbone

longbone Thread Starter

Specs: P4 2.6 Invidia FX 5200Ultra 512 Mbs PC 3200 on XP Home SP2
    AV-Avast Home (uninstalled upgraded to latest version)
    Firewall-Sygate Pro (uninstalled upgraded to latest version)
    Inernet Connection-External USB ADSL modem (PPoE) @3Mbps

Problem 1: XP Home reboots in the 3+ minute range. Once it gets to the 'Starting Windows XP' screen, it loads fine. Some damnthing is hanging.

Problem 2: MY comp is running slow. Expeciially on the net. Task manager is reporting no excess network use. IE 6 acts like it's on a 56k modem. I use Mozilla FireFox, which runs fine, but my wife is a IE 6 fanatic. Shareaza and WinMX load slowly and take a minute or more to change tabs. BitTornado (latest versions all) loads and runs fine, but seems to hang after an hour or so. It stops updating speeds, seeds, peers, etc. It also closes slowly. Once I get online, the comp slams on the brakes. Mozilla is the only app that seems unaffected. Sygate is also logging a lot of portscans. 7 in the in the last hour or so. All from the same IP address. I've tried a reboot to get a new IP adress, but the port scans start up agan after about an hour, last about an hour then stop. So far I've resisted the urge to backrace since it'll only egg the @$$hole on.....though if anyone has an ICBM I could use..........

NOTE I read the rules and I'm not asking for help with my P2P apps. Just mentioning them since they are affected. I installed the other ones since BT was acting flakey and a reinstall didn't help. The only P2P app working is limewire.

Problem 3: Programs won't uninstall. If I use add/remove programs I get the following error:"Unable to open uninstall.log". Same thing if I use uninstall.exe in the programs folder. I had to download an uninstall utility to uninstall/upgrade avast and had to manually unistall adaware so I could upgrade to SE-deleted folders and removed all traces from the registry. The problem is affecting both HDs.

Ok, that said, here are the solutions I've tried:
    Updated avast and ran a full scan including archives. Clean. I used Trend Micro and Panda online. Clean. I used Adaware 6SE (With VX2 cleaner-sysem clean) and SpyBot S&D, both updated, and fixed the problems found.(Tracking cookies and some adware IE addons from my wife-I honestly think she installes that **** just to piss me off :rolleyes: ) I ran CWShredder which reported a clean system. Ive run scandisc and Norton Speed Disc using thorough with no problems found. I ran msconfig and unchecked some apps. No speed increase. I finally broke down and installed SP2 in the hopes of fixing at least the IE 6 problem. No joy.

I am officially out of ideas and I'm ready to use my .357 for a Magnum solution. I hope this helps someone figure this out.

This is the second time I've wrote this since the damn thing made me log in again and I lost the first writing, so if I missed anything chalk it up to to much food, annoyance and sheer mind bending agravation.

Later taters,
    BoNe

2. longbone

longbone Thread Starter

COme on peeps, someone has to know whats going on or at least how to track it down.

BoNe

3. longbone

longbone Thread Starter

This is a 'bump'.

4. longbone

longbone Thread Starter

BUmP!!

5. longbone

longbone Thread Starter

BumP..........is anyone there? I'm losing my mind.

BoNe

6. telios

telios

Hey, longbone.
    Here is someone who may be able to help.
    A long boot usualy means that your OS is loading up a lot of programs
    at the start. P2P programs loadup at boot. You may want to disable that
    and start it at a later time.
    When your in XP Pro run MSCONFIG and select the "Start Up" tab to see
    what is being loaded at boot time. I am shure you'll find stuff that you
    don't need running right at boot up.

To find out where the slowdown coms from, disable all your P2P software.
    Shutt down Bittorrent, etc. See what happens.
    Are you sharing a lot of files via P2P? You may want to restrict the number of
    users and the use of bandwidth.
    Get Zonealarm Pro to secure your ports or a router (NetGear is a good one)
    to put beween your DSL/cable modem and your computer. A router will
    let you configure what ports are available to the outside world.
    I have had no problems with port scaning and such ever since I installed
    a router.
    Good Luck.
    :)

7. longbone

longbone Thread Starter

Nope. I set all P2P apps to load manually. The only apps I set to load at boot is my AV and firewall.
    I also ran msconfig and checked the apps loading and used services.msc to stop a lot of services and apps but I'm still shutting down in the 3+ minute range. This is driving me nuts!

8. nomaan

nomaan

did i hear anyone say format?

9. telios

telios

Before you format, try defragmenting. But not just once, but
    two or even three times over. I have found that doing it only
    once does the job only partly.
    This could solve your problem, or atleast improve things somewhat.
    What's your HDs rpm? (5400 or 7200?)

10. longbone

longbone Thread Starter

The problem wes simple to fix once I figured it out. I had edited the registry to make XP delete the swap file on reboot to remove some junk and just forgot to change it back.

I now feel stupid. But at least the problem is fixed and I'm rebooting in the 30-40 second range now. Sweet. With a nod to BlackViper.com for some excellent articles.

Thanks to everyone who wrote.
    Later taters,
    BoNe

11. telios

telios

The swap file! Damn. Now why didn't I think of that?
    I am glad your problem is solved.

:)

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/300895

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice