XP 32 bit on a system that has x64 on it.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

jrochte

Okay, I was on a different help site asking about x64 edition drivers. Since the drivers are limited to a few, it was suggested to me that i partition my hard drive and have the 2nd partition have XP 32 bit version. Can anyone confirm that thiere should be no problems with this?

The whole story is: I bought this computer with XP x64 edition installed on it :eek: . And found out my older software and printer will not install, because of the 64 bit version of windows. Now there is no driver for my printer and autocad 2000 does not have any support available to get a 64 bit version to work in the 64 bit version of windows. So i either wait until HP gets a driver for the printer and I upgrade autocad(way to much moolah at this time) or I scrap that computer a go back to my old one(not an option cause my co-worker is having problems with hers so she'll get my old one after I get done setting this one up.). So here's where the partitioning comes into play. I am told i can have x64 on one and XP SP2 on the other partition. If the different versions can co-exist, then I won't need to fork out the tremendously rediculous amount of money needed to upgrade. When it comes time that HP gets the driver needed and I am able to get a new version of autocad that works on x64 edition, I will get rid of the 2nd partition. Sound okay? Anything that I am over looking in regards to the partitioning of my hard drive? Also using XP SP2 on an intel xeon processor?

Thanks

Should be no problem, just install the other version for a sweet dual boot. My question for you: why keep the 64 bit windows in the first place, if there are few if any drivers available? A question for those in the know: Shouldn't the 64 bit edition be backwards compatible?

jrochte

Maybe to be available for upgrade when driver support comes up to par. If I do decide to upgrade, I won't have to buy it again.

One would think that x64 edition should be backwards compatible,
I sure did. Now look what I have to deal with.

I've had to deal with hardware conflicts - 2wire PC Port, no driver for it - HP 9800 series printer, no driver again. as for software, AVG for some reason didn't install, something to do with avg7core.sys being blocked, might or might not be x64 itself. Autocad 2000 the file needed to install has "issues" with x64 edition, likewise didn't install. I feel like i should have researched better before buying, so to avoid these headaches. But, as said before I felt x64 edition would be backwards compatible, just as XP SP2 is.

Anyway, I am done venting.

jrochte

kronus said:
Should be no problem, just install the other version for a sweet dual boot.
CAn you tell me why Partition magic is not working. When I choose to install a new operating system in partition magic, It takes me through the steps to make a partition for a new operating system. For the settings to take place I am required to reboot. The instructions say that the computer will hang after rebooting because it is trying to boot into the partition(or OS which hasn't been installed yet. The next step is to reboot again using the install disk of that OS to be installed. Here is the problem. After rebooting for the first time, the computer does not hang and goes right into x64 edition. Why?
Oh yeah, When i view the partition that I had hoped to create in partition magic, it isn't there. C: also shows the full amount of space. Does the line"xmnt 2002 program not found...skipping autocheck" mean anything?
I get that line whilst booting up. I guess I could reinstall x64 after installing XP SP2, right. It is said that one should install an older version of windows first, then the newer, i think.

Thanks

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online