1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Xp 64

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by jamsum, Jul 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jamsum

jamsum Thread Starter

This is basically an open question post about W XP 64:

Not knowing too much about application conversions between 32 bit and 64 bit, I have a lot of questions about compatibility issues concerning XP 64, such as-

1) What will it recognize and run without problems as far as software apps are concerned? -such as Sonar stuff, Pinnacle Studio stuff, Nero Stuff... and general programs designed for XP sp2?
    2) How far back will XP 64 reach to be compatible with older programs?
    3) How deep do security issues run?
    4) I read in one PC World article about XP 64 that suggests to wait for Vista. I am sure it will be just fab when it arrives in full form, but until then it seems to make sense to go with improvements on what already works- or is my thought logic thread on this subject lacking on something?

2. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

I have been thinking about the best way to answer this post and since there actually has not been enough time that the 64-bit has been out I think this page on Product documentation is there it hopefully should answer some of your questions.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/itsolutions/proddocs/default.mspx

I hope this answers some of your questions.

3. inuyasha320

inuyasha320

currently using a 64 bit os will only slow you down for most programs

a 64bit OS will only run 64 bit programs fast

32bit programs will take a big performance hit

so basically 32 bit apps run slow in a 64 bit OS (almost all current programs are in 32 bit)

64 bit oses also have poor driver support and are unable to run certain games.

for me, i will not 100% switch to 64bit until it is forced on me (for the time being i will only use a dual boot with 1 64 bit os and 1 32 bit).

PS when a 64 bit version of maya comes out, the performance will be much better as 64 bit is more able to handle complex rendering.

also programs in a 64 bit OS will use more cpu cache and more system memory than a app in a 32 bit OS.

Gamers arent going to be happy with windows vista (the os it's self uses a lot of memory and is full of useless features and eyecandy which is why you see that on almost all websites that show you system requirements for games, will show windows vista requiring almost double what a windows xp pc needs)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/482449

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice