1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP & 98 running on same comp...want to dele 98

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by barbnicky, Feb 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. barbnicky

barbnicky Thread Starter

Hi I installed XP home edition on my Computer which had Win 98 on it. Unfortunately XP was setup as a 2nd OS(which I didn't want). I want to remove 98. I wasn't able to access via XP the files or programs I had under 98 so I ran XP's file transfer wizard (with new and old computer being one and the same). I copied those files to an external harddrive and then went back into the wizard (now under the XP environment) and tried to move those files to the XP . What I got in the end was a ton of files that I was told had to be moved manually. Ok, here's a list of my problems:

1) I want to delete Win 98. How do I do this? Once I remove 98, will this free up a ton of ram?
    2) I want to install some of the programs that were running under Win 98 into the XP environment. I have CDs for these programs. One such program is Office 97, which includes Outlook(not express),Access and several other programs that I often use and are not in my XP home edition. Does anybody know if Office 97 is incompatible with XP?
    3) Under the XP environment, I keep getting a msg that I'm low on memory. My PC has 128 mb of ram. Using the Add/Remove function or Windows Explorer, I've removed many of the programs (such as Quicken) but I continue to get this low memory msg. How do I correct this low memory problem (which occurs only under the XP environment)? I have only 145mb of available ram. I tried to install Quicken under the XP environment, but was unable to do so because of low memory.
    4) How do I move all the files that were collected during the file transfer process (and that reside on the external drive) to XP? I can't see moving these files one at a time.....there are far too many. I'm hoping that once I get into XP the programs these files require, I'll be able to transfer them just like that!! Am I correct?

Any and all advice/help will be very much appreciated. Thanks.
    Barbara

2. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

No ram is not used with 2 OSes all you will gain back is HDD space. RAM is what is used during booting and running of programs not the storage of 2 Oses.

Office 97 installs on XP. I would recommend upgrading because 2003 has alot of benifits over 97 but it can be installed.

Low on memory can be a few things it can be dependant on how many things you have in startup. It can be due to how many items you have open. The easiest way is to upgrade your ram though.

The file transfer wizard should have collected all the files into a directory with a few smaller files and 1 large file (whichever directory you created for it to place the information). I hope you did not pick a directory that already had a ton of files in it. If you did that, then I would suggest rerunning the wizard and this time creating a new folder. Once you have those few files you make sure its in a spot Windows XP can see it and while logged on you rerun the transfer wiazrd within XP to bring the files/settings out of the large file onto your XP machine.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/331625

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice