1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP, 98, Ubuntu mix-up

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by MrMarioMan, Feb 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MrMarioMan

MrMarioMan Thread Starter

First of all, sorry if this is in the wrong place and secondly, sorry if this makes no sense.
    Basically for a school project I decided I would build a computer, I heard it wasn't too hard and wanted to increase my knowledge of computers. I ended up getting some spare parts off of my mam's friend including 2 HDDs. When I built up the PC and started it up it turned out that there was a copy of Windows 98 installed on one of the HDD (we'll call it HDD1). Now this wouldn't load for one reason or another, so I decided to go with linux. I knew little about it but after a few internet searches decided that Ubuntu was probably the best for me. So I installed Ubuntu 6.10 onto the other HDD (HDD2)and it worked fine. Then all of a sudden Windows 98 started working again. Now I have it so that when the PC starts up It displays the option to run Ubuntu 6.10, Ubuntu 6.10 (Safe Mode), memtest and Windows 98. Now I have gotten a copy of Windows XP Upgrade and want to run that. I start off in Windows 98, I have tried running the XP off the HDD and the CD and both times it runs grand until when it tells me to restart. When it restarts I again have to pick between which OS to run and I pick Windows. However the doesn't pick up from where it left off, in fact there is no sign that it ever started, even when I copied the files to the HDD first those files were gone. I have tried removing HDD2 during this installation and
    "Loading GRUB
    GRUB FAILED
    ERROR 22"
    just keeps coming up. I have tried uninstalling Ubuntu aswell and this still comes up. At this stage I want to just install XP in place of 98 and get rid of Ubuntu altogether (though I could live with it if for some reason or other it would have to stay).

Any help would really be appreciated.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/542421

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice