1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP/98SE networking problem with a twist!

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by avdistribution, Apr 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. avdistribution

avdistribution Thread Starter

I have a wireless n/w which has an xp computer wired to an SMC router with 3 98SE computers wirelessly connected via SMC and Linksys adapters. All was well until recently when I connected one of the 98SE machines directly to the router so I could reinstall the os on the xp machine (failed hard drive). When I put the wireless adapter back on the 98SE machine-it's "unable to find the network". The twist is that the other 98SE machines are able to connect to the n/w fine.
    I didn't change any settings on the errant machine, workgroup and comp names are the same, using tcp/ip, firewalls are off etc etc and the xp machine must be set up right because the other 98SE machines are connected to it.
    So what am I doing wrong?
    To be more specific: the xp computer is networked successfully with one of the 98se computers and vice versa and can see and open files on the other, errant 98se computer. I just can't access the internet or the xp computer from that 98se computer.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/699793

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice