1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

xp a disk read error occurred press ctrl alt del to restart

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by DBASON, Apr 2, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. DBASON

DBASON Thread Starter

I have an a disk read error occurred press ctrl+alt+del to restart. I will not restart. I tried to fix it but it would have brought my pc back to factory specs, so I stopped it. I need the information off of my HP Pavilion a1102n with windows XP. Now the screen is black with a blinking cursor.

How can I get my PC to boot up so I can use it?

2. 737Simpilot

737Simpilot Temporarily Banned

It sounds like your hard drive has bit the dust. What you need to do is get another external USB hard drive and a USB to SATA adapter. You need another computer to accomplish this task. Then you would run the program Unstoppable Copier to copy your data to the external hard drive.

Do you live in the U.S. ?

3. kenbok51

kenbok51

Besides a failing hard drive there are a few things you can check. Since many XP machines are set to boot first from a floppy drive or CD drive before they boot to the hard drive, if you leave a disk in either drive (that is not bootable) you can get that error since the PC will attempt to boot from that and find a non-bootable disk. I don't think you have a floppy drive on that machine so check to make sure you didn't leave a CD or DVD in the optical drive.

Also check to see if the connections inside the machine are secure (both at the drive and the motherboard) since if the power or data connections are loose or the power supply is failing to deliver enough power, that can cause a failed boot as well. Some of the earlier SATA connectors were known to work themselves loose over time and the design was changed later to prevent that issue.

There's no easy way to check your power supply voltages besides going into the bios and look for a section that lists the different voltages being delivered to the CPU, RAM as well as the 3, 5 and 12volt rails. Of course if the supply is toast you might not even be able to access the bios. If you can get in the bios also look to see if the date and time are correct. If not your motherboard battery may need replacement.

Finally if you have more than one hard drive in the PC, make sure the hard drive with the OS installed on it is set to be the first boot device in the bios. Sometime a bios can reset itself to defaults from a power outage or other failure and you need to go in and reset a few things especiallt hard drive boot order.

4. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    The HP Pavilion a1102n desktop was introduced in 2006 and came with Windows XP Home Edition.
    Because of its age, it's no longer listed in the HP support site.

What information do you need from its hard drive?
    If it's personal data(documents, photos, etc.), it should've been backed up to external media a long time ago.

----------------------------------------------------------------

5. DBASON

DBASON Thread Starter

upload_2018-4-7_20-27-28.jpeg Is this what you wanted me to get. I copied it from Amazon

6. DBASON

DBASON Thread Starter

I have never done this before. I am going to try and fix this myself. I need to know if the above photo shows what you were saying I needed to get? Thank you.

7. DBASON

DBASON Thread Starter

Thank you KenBox I will try this before making any purchases. Thank you.

8. DBASON

DBASON Thread Starter

Thank you KenBox51 I will try this before making any purchases. Thank you.

9. DBASON

DBASON Thread Starter

I need my Microsoft office 2003, and my music.

10. DBASON

DBASON Thread Starter

I have need updated anything on this pc. When I put it back in its original box the pc was working fine.

11. lynx1021

lynx1021

It was moved? from one place to another? You said "When I put it back in its original box the pc was working fine". You may need to open it up and check all the plug in connections. Was it in storage for a while?

You said you need "I need my Microsoft office 2003, and my music". You can't get the programs off of it, but if it is not dead you can get all your documents, music, video's pictures etc.

That kit you posted from Amazon will work. You will have to pull out the hard drive and hook it with that kit to another computer to get the files off it. It is best to run a hard drive check boot disk to see if the hard drive is still good before you buy that kit.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2018
  12. lynx1021

lynx1021

13. snuffleufflegus

snuffleufflegus

Are you saying you were restoring it to factory defaults but stopped it as it was about to do it? If that is what you did then that tells me the hdd is fine ( if in fact it was in the process of restoring the hdd to factory defaults).

I would do as 737simpilot suggested and retrieve all the data you want saved.Then try a complete factory restore if in fact that's what it was doing.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1207891

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice