1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP Activation Loop - Help!

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by TechnoWiz, Oct 1, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TechnoWiz

TechnoWiz Thread Starter

Hi there!

I have performed minor surgery on my system and have entered into a deeply disturbing discussion with the XP Operating System.

What I did...
    Existing system, WinXP Pro - Fully licensed - Install + Data = 13gB
    Imaged existing drive to spare HDD (Used imaged drive as primary drive to ensure copy would boot and run. Everything worked fine and operating OK)
    Restored original HDD and rebooted - All OK
    Upgraded to SP1a - All OK
    Installed extra RAM - All OK
    Installed new Video Card - All OK
    Installed new DVD ROM - All OK
    Installed backup drive as Slave Drive on 2nd IDE bus - All NOT OK!

Rebooting the system came up with the ever faithful MS XP activation wizard telling me that I had made changes that required re-activation. I'm reasonable and said yep, go ahead and activate over internet now. It did it's dial up thing and after a moment or two said that the system was now activated please enjoy your new environment.

Rebooted system after a tidy of cables etc.
    At user logon screen after entering logon info the system said I was unactivated and I would have to activate now!! I agreed (who am I to argue with such sophisticated technology!) and it started the activation wizard.
    The activation wizard in it's infinite glory said that the OS was already activated and promptly sent me back to the logon screen where I entered my logon info again and it said that my copy was not activated and.......
    This daft loop happens for user and admin logons and I was unable to get it to progress beyond!!.

I removed the slave drive, extra RAM, new card but all efforts failed.

I've booted from CD, used the repair console to attempt to fix the system.

I've re-installed XP over the top of the existing install - that was great, I ended up with a new boot drive (G:) that I could boot to.

I then noticed that I had a C: drive and a G: drive in explorer. They are the same drive!! All changes to either drive are made to both. Attempted to see where the disk mapping was happening, even asked the registry to tell me stories. No Joy.

Applications that access the original boot drive don't work as they have data paths that point to the wrong drive letter.

Did a global replace of all G: to C: in the registry and edited boot.ini to boot from C:..
    Reboot OK... C: now root drive, G: still exists and I am unable to rid myself of it. But I'm at least happy to have a system to work with.

Tested essential applications and all work properly (Photoshop, Dreamweaver, Illustrator, Pagemaker, ACDSee, Acrobat 6.0).

Tested semi-essential applications (Microsoft Office) and did not have a happy experience.

Uninstalled and re-installed MS Office Pro (Legal Fully Licenced!)

Rebooted system and all appeared to be working fine.

Unable to setup internet network connection, (dial up) as new network connect wizard has dial-up option greyed out
    Checked modem config and re-installed modem (external USR 56K).
    Rebooted system - Logon now says XP unactivated and I'm back into a deja-vu loop.

Anyone out there got any other ideas I might have missed to correct this stupidity before I sling the offending machine off the balcony and go buy myself a Mac G5 with the insurance money??

This message is being written from a spare system drive I have installed that has a minimal XP install running OK. (Hassle is it's a 2.4gB drive and cannot hold all my apps).

Cheerz
    TechnoWiz

2. Mithrilhall

Mithrilhall

Search for this file on Microsoft's site: Q811632_WXP_SP2_X86_ENU.EXE

Download it and install it and see if that helps.

3. TechnoWiz

TechnoWiz Thread Starter

Will try that, but I have a sneaky feeling I have no way that I can run the SP2 exe until I get logged in, and of course I have this damnable "XP is unactivated / Activated" loop to contend with...

<grin - slightly manic now>

TechnoWiz

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/168916

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice