1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP Activation

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by scj6771, Apr 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. scj6771

scj6771 Thread Starter

I have imaged countless laptops over the years using PowerQuest Deploy Center, I have never ran into many issues untill lately, after imaging a few IBM X40 laptops running Windows XP and deploying that image onto other X40'S I can't get those machine to activate XP, I am using the correct key codes and still it tells me that the code is wrong, so I figured I would use the IBM restore option to bring the machine back to it's factory state and image the machine with an older X40 image that I know works, yet still even after restoring the older image I get the same error when I try to activate windows, what is causing this? why would it still have this problem even after restoring it back to factory and then re-imaging? could I re-run Sysprep?

2. Tapeuup

Tapeuup

Call Microsoft, they will help resolve the issue, Also do this & you will never have this issue again.

Reinstall Windows XP without re-activating

If you were to reinstall Windows XP, you normally must re-activate it as well, even if your hardware is unchanged... luckily, there's a way around this.

First, your hardware between reinstalls must NOT change..

XP keeps the activation information in a file named "wpa.dbl", which can be found in _:\WINDOWS\System32\

After your activating Windows XP, back this file up to a floppy or some other type of media.

Now, if you ever need (or want) to reinstall Windows XP, go through the whole procedure as you normally would. Once you get into Windows itself, copy the file from your media back into _:\WINDOWS\System32\... You may need to be in safe mode to do this

3. scj6771

scj6771 Thread Starter

I have found a way around the situation. Thanks.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/350260

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice