1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP Activation

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by StephanSt, Jan 16, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. StephanSt

StephanSt Thread Starter

I had a discussion with a friend and I wonder if anybody has some experience with this:

If you have two different PCs with different hardware and install XP on both machines with the same ProductKey, could you activate them both?

If so, what is the activation good for? And if not, how can Microsoft differ installing on two different machines at the same time on side, and from installing on one machine, upgrading the hardware und reactivating a second time on the other side?

I am curious what you think about this.

Stephan

2. skinnywhiteboy

skinnywhiteboy

First Name:
    Bruce
    Typically, Microsoft makes you buy additional liscenses if you want to install XP on more than one machine on your network. It sends a hardware config to the Microsoft SQL server which compares that against the product code you entered. I'm afraid there is no easy way around this.
    swb

edited out reference to illegal software

3. Brooks

Brooks Guest

How it does this is that almost every piece of equipment in the computer has a different Identifier. Even though you might have two computers bought at the same time with the exact same hardware, the pieces inside are going to have different id's. Network cards will have different mac addresses. Hard drives all have different serial numbers and ID strings, the processors have different serial numbers, cdrom drives have id numbers..... the list goes on. This is how it can seperate the two.

4. StephanSt

StephanSt Thread Starter

Yes sure, Brooks, I know that.

But I wonder how M$ differs between those two cases:

Case 1: I have a PC, activate XP on it, then I upgrade nearly everything, (a faster processor, more RAM, new harddisk with more space, new graphic board) and then I reactivate it.

Case 2: I have a PC, activate XP on it, install the same XP with the same ProductKey on a Notebook, activate XP also.

How can they differ between case 1 and the 2nd activation on case 2? :confused: If they can't, one could also install XP on every PC in a large company and use the same ProductKey? Ok, I think you are able to activate XP by internet 5 times within 120 days or so, but if you are barefaced enough, you could activate it by phone and say that you upgraded your pc once again.

What do you think, is it that easy?

Stephan

5. bcon76

bcon76 Guest

As far as large coroprations go they are not subject to the same activation as the average consummer. Hence WinXP Pro Corp. Edition. I would hope and Microsoft would hope that if you are a large corporation, or even a small one, you are an honest one and that you are paying for your software. You could however install the same WinXP Pro Corp. on as many machines as you want. Cosequences can be severe. Check out this write up from a recent http://www.lockergnome.com issue:

Corporate IT managers weren't happy when Microsoft exercised a clause in one of their volume license programs that forced the companies to perform an audit of their software licensing in order to demonstrate compliance to Microsoft. Many weren't even aware that they had signed on for something like that at the time. I'm on the fence with regard to that particular tactic, but Borland has vaulted clean over it and into civil liberties violations, as far as I'm concerned.

When you purchase a license for a Borland product, not only are you agreeing to open up your premesis for inspection by Borland at their whim, but (are you sitting down?) if you're found to be illegally using their software, you will have already mysteriously waived your right to a jury trial in a court of law should Borland decide to pursue legal action against you. How nice. I suppose the next ploy will be "guilty until proven innocent". Or are we already there? You be the judge.

You can learn more here: http://freshmeat.net/articles/view/369

6. StephanSt

StephanSt Thread Starter

:confused: :confused: :confused:

That was an example... It's not about companys, it's not about what the activation code is made of.

I wonder will the activation really work or does it just create an entry on your phone bill? If you can activate the same XP on two different machines at the same time, IMO the activation isn't working or not doing what it's meant to do (or just preventing pirating in large scale).

That is what I wanted to discuss.

7. buck52

buck52 Banned

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/65102

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice