XP activation

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

dormouse

The PC, on which I installed a legal retail copy of XP, is in the middle of its 30 day activation period. As I had done most of the upgrades I wanted, I decided to do a regwiz and register the product and get it activated. Towards the end I got a number which was supposed to identify the product for Microsoft support. At the very end I got a message saying that an error had occurred and the program wished to send a couple of files to Microsoft, which I allowed.
Does this mean that my XP OS has not been activated and should I do anything else to get it activated?
TIA

dormouse

I tried that. The only number I had was the support number for the UK in the booklet - 08706010100. I dialled the number and there was only one item in the menu which was relevant. - product activation. I chose that and was given another number to ring - 08000188354.
This number also had a menu system. The product activation choice however demanded the product activation code I was given in the registration process, but of course since the registration process bombed out before I got one I don't have one. How do I get to speak to a real person and explain the position?

dormouse

@manshead_uk My product key on the box consists of 5 groups of 5 charcters and digits. The second phone number asked for a first group of 6 digits. I don't think they were asking for the product ID.

"Does this mean that my XP OS has not been activated and should I do anything else to get it activated?"

I would try activating again over the net and if your already activated it will tell you.
Good luck and let us know.

dormouse

I did a search and found that there is a separate activation process in System Tools. I think the installation process said I could activate later by using regwiz /r, which is what I did. It would have been better if I had just used used System Tools. According to the the XP activation in System Tools XP is activated so I presume everything is OK.
This PC is an old system which I built some time ago with a mobo from a firm that I think has stopped making them (Soltek). In the event that I decide to scrap it and transfer the XP to a new system how do I get to speak to someone about re-activation?

If you have finished using xp on the old computer ,you should be able to install and activate it on the new one (Microsoft says one licence one computer) But you are only going to use one computer the old installation won't exist.. I think you can do this up to three times before you have to phone them for activation.
Good luck and let us know how you get on.

dormouse

Thank you. That certainly is a relief.(y)
One sees stories of people talking to a real person at Microsoft over the phone but there doesn't seem to be any way to get out of their menu system and into the real world of real people.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online