1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP and 2K Install Problems

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by nitro237, Jan 13, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. nitro237

nitro237 Thread Starter

I have an HP with a Cel 900 , came loaded with XP Home Edition . The other day it would not boot up , saying it could not find a .dll file . I have reinstalled XP and Win 2k at least 2 dozen times on different computers , so I thought I would just reformat and do a fresh install .

Here's where the problem begins . When I put the XP disk in and booted up it started laoding the setup files like usual , then it stopped and said it could not copy a file . After several attempts , I skip the file and it continued to load . Then it just keeps on hitting files it says it can not copy until it blue screens .

I thought maybe my disk was bad so I got a brand new , unopened XP disk and the same thing . I got a Win 2K disk and same thing . I got a Win98SE disk it it loaded it fine . I tried to upgrade to Win XP from 98SE and when it started copying , same thing .

I thought maybe the CDRom was just not reading properly , so I changed that out . Same results .

Any suggestion ? Thanks

2. JackC

JackC

What about "Last known good configuration" or is it too late?

3. nitro237

nitro237 Thread Starter

Too late , but , I have ran FDISK on it at least 3 times , have reformatted at least 5 times .

4. JackC

JackC

What about using recovery console from the CD?

5. nitro237

nitro237 Thread Starter

there's nothing to recover , never could get all the setup files to copy . Never had XP to get past the setup files .

6. JackC

JackC

7. nitro237

nitro237 Thread Starter

OK , thanks Jack ;)

BTW , I had the same results with Win 2000 Pro

8. JackC

JackC

What about a utility that wipes your HD clean? Then you should be able to start from scratch.

9. nitro237

nitro237 Thread Starter

Is there something better than a low level format ?

10. JackC

JackC

I'll shoot you an email with the instructions. It's a dangerous way and would not recommend it unless there was no other route. So before you try this, keep looking for alternate ways to fix it. Email will be on its way shortly.

11. Jcapstick

Jcapstick

I have a GA-7ZX-1 with a 700 AMD cpu 8.4 gig HD 320 meg Ram
    Having simural problems woun't copy setup files to the Windows installation Folders
    27% is as far as I can get.

Any help would be appreciated

Joe

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/113146

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice