1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP and device manager

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Icn2pcs, Jan 15, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Icn2pcs

Icn2pcs Thread Starter

Running XP Pro on a Pavillion 8670. Installed an HP Scanjet 6300 and life was good. One day I tried to use the scanner and it would not initialize, so I go to Device manager and there are 11 unknown devices under Imaging devices. So I think its hosed and I try to unistall these devices but XP is telling me that "Failed to uninstall the device. This device may be required to boot up the computer" so I uninstalled the software, removed all (i think) refrences to the scanner in the registry, stopped services, go into Safe mode, virus scan, all return the same message. The interface being used for the scanner is LPT1. I will entertain any suggestions becuse I am ready to give this PC a Vertical Impact Adjustment.

Thanks for listening

2. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Have you tried booting up in Safe Mode, then going to the Device manager and removing all the entries for the scanner and "unknown" imaging devices?

3. Icn2pcs

Icn2pcs Thread Starter

that was the first thing i tried, no luck

4. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Sometimes it is a bit cryptic, by you might look in the Registry for the device.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum

5. Shairel

Shairel

Also make sure that your parallel port is getting an IRQ, and whatever you do don't use the original HP disk to install your scanner, you have to use the latest precisionscan update from HP's website

Doesn't the 6300 have a USB connection as well? if it does, take that parallel cable, and donate it to the toilet.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!