xp and HP

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

grybeard22

I have an HP pavilion 6835 that I am having some problems with after installing xp pro

system:
pavilion 800mhz
30gigHD
256mbram

After the install and everything was up and running, connected to my home network as a client pc and sharing the internet, everything seemed to run smooth as silk.
After installing software programs I have noticed alot of hesitations and am now getting alot of warnings of low virtual memory .....I have read several fixes and applied all of them but its not helping a bit...its as if the system has to more or less "catchup" with itself when trying to do a task such as empty the recycle bin.
This really baffles me as I would assume that an 800mhz system with 256 ram should be more than enough with less than 5 gigs of a 30 gig hd used ( my host pc is a 600 celeron with 128 and makes this thing look sick! lol)

There is one thing here that nags at me as that it might be the problem....
This system was one of those ..." If you can fix it you can have it" type of things.....I got it without the restore disc's so I had to find all the individual drivers for everything on it ....originally the thought was that the MB was a gonner as I didnt have any video or anything ..well the culprit was a bad jumper for the CMOS and after replacing that everything started working again.

As I said I was able to find all the drivers for the system including what I needed for the bios....now my thought is ....is there something that I am missing for the system that would be on the restore disc that I dont have that would be causing this?

I have also installed all the updates for the system that I can find not only from HP but also for XP

any ideas/help/advice greatly appreciated
thanks in advance

Hi There!

Run MSCONFIG
go to the "Startup" Tab and UNCHECK EVERYTHING and test performance.

if you're still having issues, try booting into safe mode and defrag and that may also help.

Good Luck!

ST

You might also run Ad-Aware to see if you've got a lot of junk on your computer.

Ad-aware removes spyware and it's FREE!

http://www.lavasoftusa.com/

Go to the above link and click on "Ad-aware" under the SOFTWARE heading on the left side of the screen to read more info about it.

Then click the "Download" link under the SUPPORT heading on the same side of the screen. Click on one of the download links for Ad-aware® 6 under Full install under AD-AWARE 6 STANDARD EDITION.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online