1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

xp and kerio firewall question...please help

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by pamdreaming, Jan 9, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. pamdreaming

pamdreaming Thread Starter

ok, here's the story.
    I upgraded to xp home edition about 3 wks ago. Things are pretty smooth with no glitches, almost. I am running an inexpensive computer with lots of hard drive space and 256k memory.
    I installed the free version of kerio 2.1 personal firewall. I am very much the novice on what to allow and what to deny permission but that is a different story, I hope.
    I called the co. that built my computer and they suggested that i uninstall kerio, then reinstall which I did. The reason was because each time I tried to open "status,administration", or anything, I got a box stating that Kerio was running on a remote computer(the box was checked) and the "status window" box was checked. Nothing happens when I try to change to the "local host" box and the Admin box.
    When I boot up, I get two pop up boxes, one stating:
    Ffvarlibinit:var_server_starterror 1(10048:bind()failed
    and the other stating:
    KFE initialization failed: invalid parameter
    Now the crazy part about it is that Kerio is currently active and running. I called Kerio and they told me they do not support the free version. So, basically, I can't get into the firewall to make any changes or do anything to anything to this program. By the way, when I began to uninstall there were two Kerio's. One was the Kerio 2.1 and the other was just Kerio. On uninstallation of Kerio, it said I would have to restart in VGA to uninstall. I have no clue as to what that is or what to do. Can anyone help me straighten out this mess? Thanks in advance. Have I been wormed?

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

They probably want the uninstall done in safe mode.

3. pamdreaming

pamdreaming Thread Starter

ACA, thanks. Any clue to the rest of the problem?

4. 700mb80min

700mb80min Banned

As AcaCandy said , if you are having trouble deleting kerio in the add/remove programs , by all means do it in safe mode , both entries. After that , do a search and manually delete any kerio entries you find as the uninstaller will not remove the " installer.exe." file which kerio leaves if you ever want to install it again .

For what it`s worth , you should try a default setting fire-wall such as Zone Alarm . It is not highly as rated as others such as Outpost , Sygate and Kerio , but these have to be configured to be effective and if you allow certain apps to access the internet without knowing what they are and do , you may as well shut your fire-wall off.

Zone Alarm will by default protect the average home user from any " internet nasties " that may come your way . You must simply allow your internet , e-mail , any auto- updates ( plus a couple of others depending on programs installed )you have to connect via a prompt from Zone Alarm and your ready to go .

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/193729

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice