1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP and ME Networking

Discussion in 'Networking' started by benmp3master2, Dec 2, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. benmp3master2

benmp3master2 Thread Starter

I have had to reinstall XP on my 1.4 gig machine. Now I cannot share files between them. I can share the internet but not the printer or any files. I am using TCP/IP and Netbeui.
    Thanks

2. angel

angel

XP seems to be pretty tricky with such things.
    Confirm Netbeui is on the XP (not installed by default and hidden on the cd where most don't know where to look).
    Do you see yourself on each computer in the workgroup?
    Confirm both computers are in the same workgroup.
    You can also try and reset it up on the XP buy going to My Network Places and clicking 'Set up a home or small office network' in the left pane.

3. benmp3master2

benmp3master2 Thread Starter

Can see each computer, but not both at the same time. Both are in the same workgroup. How can I manually install Netbeui. I think that is the problem?

4. angel

angel

On the XP cd, go to \WinXP\VALUEADD\MSFT\NET\NETBEUI - you will find a readme file with instructions.

5. DJ P@CkMaN

DJ [email protected]

or you can just goto the Local Area Connection properties and click Install.. half-way down the window and install NetBEUI

6. angel

angel

Netbeui is not an available option by default. The readme file on the cd gives instructions on how to add that as an option to install. You then install as normal.

7. DJ P@CkMaN

DJ [email protected]

well thats how i installed it for my home network and its there on my computer...............................

8. angel

angel

On Windows XP? That would most certainly be odd since Microsoft no longer supports it and doesn't even recommend it be installed. Did you install XP or did it come preinstalled?

9. DJ P@CkMaN

DJ [email protected]

i installed it from the CD.. athough it is not the final release :p

10. angel

angel

Yes, that's what I was referring to.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/60468

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice