Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

XP and ME (recover data from ME disk)

952 views 7 replies 2 participants last post by  JohnWill 
#1 ·
Hello I am trying to network two of my computers so that I can transfer some of my audio files that we made and recorded using Real Jukebox to my newer computer.

The old one is Win ME and the new one is XP pro.

What cables do I need/ How is this done???

Any help is GREATLY appreciated.

#3 ·
Okay, so here's the next problem. Sorry guys im a newb

This might not even be the correct forum for this but i'll give it a shot.

I got my other computer out (Win ME one) which has the audio files I want and plugged it in and all and all it seemed it would start. After a second or two of having power it just makes these tones or beeps
(like a second long and a second in between.)
The computer wasn't in exactly the most perfect environment so could that have something to do with it?

#4 ·
I think the best course of action might be to install the hard disk from that machine as a secondary drive in the new machine long enough to copy the files you want. It's going to be the easiest way I would imagine. :)

#8 ·
OK, the easiest way to do the move is as follows, this avoids any jumpering and compatibility issues between hard disks:

1. Remove the hard disk from the ME machine.
  2. Open up the XP case.
  3. Unplug the device(s) on the secondary IDE channel, typically your CD/DVD drive.
  4. Plug that cable into the old drive on the end connector. Attach the power, and fire up the XP system.
  5. Copy the files you want off the old drive.
  6. Power down, remove the drive, and reconnect the cables removed from the CD/DVD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.