XP and NTFS

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

onely

problem is that the computer had a virus, windows xp and it had a NTFS file system.. I told her to fdisk and format , she did but now it says..No fixed disk present..so the problem must be the fdisk did not remove the NTFS so can anyone tell me how to do this? Thank you

onely

when she puts in the boot disk it says no fixed disk present

I would boot with a Windows 98Se Startup diskette and delete all partitions. Reboot and create one partition. Then boot with XP CD and use the disk manager within the install to partition and format the drive as desired.

If the partition was NTFS you need to select the option under delete partition to delete non DOS partition. Once it is gone, boot to the XP installation CD and it will assist in creating a new partition and begin the install.

onely

Hello,

I am trying to talk my daughter through this over the phone , she is 3000 mils away. last night when she put in a win98 boot disk and typed fdisk, it said no fixed disk present, it didn't give the option of creating or deleting..this is the same disk that she already used to delete and create and format c

onely

ok I created a new partition after fdisk, maybe this was my mistake with xp, I did not know you needed to use the cd for that

I just went through this, download a starter or boot disc from your ide manufactor home page put it on floppy and delete everything on ide, A 95 -98 disk still wouldn't let me fdisk on NTFS partition.. fdisk isn't recognizd on NTFS... I have seagate IDE and they call it discwizard bdc

onely

thats going to be a problem..I have no idea what manufacturer her hard drive is

turn of cpu and remove side of case and remove IDE , It should say manufact on it. I t is real easy, unplug ribbon, then unplug power plug. there is 1 screw on each side holding it in place

onely

Hi, I know that would be easy for me but you don't know my daughter, when I tell her to open the case she might have a panic attack but if that is what has to be done that is what I will do..I will have to call her when she gets home from work tonight 3 hours difference in time..thanks for your help

Irene

that is only way i know how, heck i panicked first time i had to remoove side cover, good luck!!!!!!!!!!

onely

When she tries to boot from the CD it starts to load and then she gets the blue screen with the error, windows has detected and problem and will be shut down to avoid damage to your computer..this is the same error she was getting before we did the fdisk, I figured it was the virus which appears to be still there

Are you sure she is booting from the CD?

Have her check the boot sequence order in BIOS Setup. It should be Floppy, CD, and IDE (hard drive).

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online