1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP and NTFS

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by onely, Jan 20, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. onely

onely Thread Starter

problem is that the computer had a virus, windows xp and it had a NTFS file system.. I told her to fdisk and format , she did but now it says..No fixed disk present..so the problem must be the fdisk did not remove the NTFS so can anyone tell me how to do this? Thank you

2. onely

onely Thread Starter

when she puts in the boot disk it says no fixed disk present

3. Dan O

Dan O

I would boot with a Windows 98Se Startup diskette and delete all partitions. Reboot and create one partition. Then boot with XP CD and use the disk manager within the install to partition and format the drive as desired.

4. Rockn

Rockn

If the partition was NTFS you need to select the option under delete partition to delete non DOS partition. Once it is gone, boot to the XP installation CD and it will assist in creating a new partition and begin the install.

5. onely

onely Thread Starter

Hello,

I am trying to talk my daughter through this over the phone , she is 3000 mils away. last night when she put in a win98 boot disk and typed fdisk, it said no fixed disk present, it didn't give the option of creating or deleting..this is the same disk that she already used to delete and create and format c

6. onely

onely Thread Starter

ok I created a new partition after fdisk, maybe this was my mistake with xp, I did not know you needed to use the cd for that

7. cainbdc1

cainbdc1

I just went through this, download a starter or boot disc from your ide manufactor home page put it on floppy and delete everything on ide, A 95 -98 disk still wouldn't let me fdisk on NTFS partition.. fdisk isn't recognizd on NTFS... I have seagate IDE and they call it discwizard bdc

8. onely

onely Thread Starter

thats going to be a problem..I have no idea what manufacturer her hard drive is

9. cainbdc1

cainbdc1

turn of cpu and remove side of case and remove IDE , It should say manufact on it. I t is real easy, unplug ribbon, then unplug power plug. there is 1 screw on each side holding it in place

10. onely

onely Thread Starter

Hi, I know that would be easy for me but you don't know my daughter, when I tell her to open the case she might have a panic attack but if that is what has to be done that is what I will do..I will have to call her when she gets home from work tonight 3 hours difference in time..thanks for your help

Irene

11. cainbdc1

cainbdc1

that is only way i know how, heck i panicked first time i had to remoove side cover, good luck!!!!!!!!!!

12. Dan O

Dan O

Using the XP CD to boot may work by itself to delete and repartition the hard drive. If not she could use a third partition disk manager, such as PartitionMagic. You can download a try it copy from: http://www.powerquest.com/partitionmagic/

13. onely

onely Thread Starter

When she tries to boot from the CD it starts to load and then she gets the blue screen with the error, windows has detected and problem and will be shut down to avoid damage to your computer..this is the same error she was getting before we did the fdisk, I figured it was the virus which appears to be still there

14. Dan O

Dan O

Are you sure she is booting from the CD?

Have her check the boot sequence order in BIOS Setup. It should be Floppy, CD, and IDE (hard drive).

15. onely

onely Thread Starter

I had her check it but I will again..

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/114259

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice