1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP and reconnecting Network drives

Discussion in 'Networking' started by brucedl, Dec 5, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Nick Scott

Nick Scott

Bruce

Doskey should work for you as its supposed to have been updated in XP. Type in Doskey in help and support search engine and about 5 articles will show up on the correct syntax to use with it.

One caveat. It works in character based apps which support buffered input, so isn't guaranteed to work with all apps.

Lisa

If the command prompt method isn't working try creating the batch file in the way that I suggested, or write yourself a logon script as Mole has suggested.

2. mauipono

mauipono

Nick,

I went back and reread what you suggested (net use...). At first, the drive didn't seem to me to have a space - it was showing an underscore on the xp computer, but shows a space on any win98 computer, so this time I went ahead and tried enclosing the path in quote marks, and it works perfectly now. Thanks Nick & mole for your expertise and help!

Aloha,
    Lisa

3. brucedl

brucedl Thread Starter

I noticed one time after a reboot that all my drives had the "X" again, so I just copied the .bat file into my startup group. This appears to solve the issue.

4. jfploeg

jfploeg

Hi Bruce, et.al.

I am having the same problem originally posted by Bruce. However, when I use the "persistent switch" given by Nick, I get the message: "Error 67 network name cannot be found."

Any ideas/solution?

Johan

5. mole

mole

Are you on Windows 9x/ME ? Many of the switches are only supported in Win NT/2K/XP. The persistent switch is one of those.

6. mauipono

mauipono

Two comments....

1. Try using quotation marks before/after the path.

2. On one of my xp stations, there was just one user account, and this setup didn't work. I added my name as a user account (although I don't use my account on his computer), and now it works perfectly on the user's account.

Good luck!

7. jfploeg

jfploeg

Tanks Mole & Mauipono,

I am on Windows XP. I have tried with the quotation marks to no avail.

I will try with an additional user account. Although I currently have two, one as Administrator and an other as Guest.

Johan

8. mole

mole

If you have 2 PCs, A and B call them and want to make a persistent connection from A to a share on B, make sure the share level AND file level permissions are appropriate. That means the user who will be accessing the share and files on B has an existing account on B and the user on A has either a synchronized username/password pair or connects using the /USER switch (only supported on NT/2K/XP). Like so:

From computer A to map a persistent share to B on a drive letter [x:] where x: is any available letter on A, and computerBuser is a valid account on computerB with permissions to the coressponding share and file permissions on B...

net use [x:] \\computerB\shareonB /PERSISTENT:YES /USER:computerB\computerBuser [password]

Please note the above line will wrap, it must be all on a single line. There is a space between [x:] and \\.

The [password] is optional. It will be sent in clear text and/or recorded in your batch if you include it and that is NOT a good security practice. If your user/password are not synchronized across both computer A and B, you will be prompted to provide it if needed if you do not include it in the command line string above.

The [x:] drive letter is also optional as UNC names (\\computername\sharename\path) are supported, which save on the precious drive letters. Devices like LPT1 and COM1 are also supported if you want to map shared printers to printer/COM ports.

For help with the NET.EXE program, type "net /?" or as appropriate with a sub-command as in "net use /?", etc.

For simplicity, practice this with shares without spaces in the names and that way you will not have to use quotes. (I really hate spaces in share names - I'm from old school DOS. Long names are fine, hate spaces.) Experiment with synchronizing user accounts and also sending the password when prompted for it. Domain authentication would clean up some of the password and synchronization mess here, but is really way beyond the scope of peer-to-peer setup in your context.

This is much easier than it looks.

HTH

(Edit: Remember, you have two kinds of permissions to grant on computerB, 1) Share and 2) File. Share alone will not work if the user you are atempting to access as does not have file permissions. Right click - select properties and then the security tab.)

9. jfploeg

jfploeg

Mole, Mauipono, et.al.

Belatedly I have followed up on this issue after an unintended absence. I feel I owe the members some feedback.

I resolved the issue by including in the startup a BAT file as had been suggested. The password/security matter is not an issue for my application. The “persistent” switch did not do the job when used in conjunction with the “net use” command. I suppose Nick Scott is right, the registry section is probably set to read only (I have not verified this).

My thanks to everyone.

Johan

10. simuser

simuser

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/60773

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice