XP and Windows 2000

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

smilefactory

I am trying to help a friend with their new (used) laptop. it came with 2000 and want to load XP. I loaded xp and it now has both on hard drive. it is a dell besides. If I reformat the hard drive, it will wipe out the drivers. Does anyone have any suggestions? I tried all I can think of to rid this computer of 2000, but it won't let me. I am considering reformatting and load only xp but not sure about drivers for a dell lap top. Are they the same as for a desktop? I would appreciate any help you can give me.
Thanks

You can get rid of windows 2000 either by booting off the botable floppy disk and running fdisk and deleting the partition with windows 2000 installed on it. You also might be able to delete the Windows 2000 partition by going to Computer Management and clicking on Disk Management and right click on the Windows 2000 Partition and choose delete partition.

The driver for a lap-top (notebook) is different from a desktop pc. You said the notebook is a dell then just go to www.dell.com and look for the drivers.

smilefactory

thank you for that information. I will check it out when I get home this PM. I will let you know what happens.
Thanks again! :)

crjdriver

First of all there is never a need to use win9x / dos tools like fdisk when working on nt based os. Since fdisk has limited use on ntfs partitions, it really is counter productive. To remove any reference to win2k, start xp and go to control panel>system>advanced>start-up and recovery. Now set xp as the default os. Choose to edit the boot.ini file and remove the line that points at win2k.

Your boot.ini file will look something like this.

[boot loader]
timeout=7
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional" /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

You would delete the line that refers to win2k. You may now delete any winnt folder on that partition. If it is the first or boot partition, do not format it. You will loose the ability to boot your xp install. If it is not the boot partition, then you can format it.

crjdriver

Sid9678 said:
You can use FDISK to delete any NTFS Partition as well. Try it and you'll see.
You CANNOT delete an extended partition with fdisk. You can delete a primary ntfs, however you cannot delete an extended one. That is why [among other reasons] that you do not use win9x tools on nt based os. If you really want to use a cli, then use diskpart the nt disk partitioning tool.

BTW I have tried to delete an extended ntfs partition with fdisk, that is why I corrected the post.

smilefactory

How do I delete this?
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional" /fastdetect
I found it, but am not sure how to delete this. Thanks for the help!

crjdriver

First the file is generally read only so right click on the file and go to properties. Clear the checkmark from the read only attrib; click apply. Now just highlight the line in question and hit the delete key. Save the file and you are good to go.

BTW it is a good idea to make a copy on a floppy, cdr, etc before you start to edit. This way if you mess it up, it is a simple matter to boot into the RC and copy the file back.

crjdriver

One other thing. That is the primary partition on the disk so do not format after you finish. It is ok to delete the winnt folder, subfolders, and any program folders. The reason you do not format is that there are some files that xp needs to load on the root of C. Those being ntldr, ntdetec.com, and boot.ini. Formatting will remove those files.

smilefactory

Okay, I think I missed something...I went ran regedit and found boot.ini. When I rt clicked on the line for 2000 it did nothing, so...is there a different way I am to find boot.ini that I can edit it? I really appreciate your help.
I know enough about computers to get around, but I am definitely not a pro.

smilefactory

I mean I ran msconfig, not regedit. I am not sure where it is in the registry. Thanks again!

crjdriver

It is not in the registry, it is a hidden read only file on the root of your boot drive. Since you are in xp, you can choose to edit the file from control panel>system>advanced>start-up and recovery. Choose to edit the file manually. The other option is to have explorer show protected os files. Now you can right click on it and choose to open with notepad.

i don't see where he said it was an extended partition. Just to to disk management and delete the partition.

crjdriver

Sid9678 said:
i don't see where he said it was an extended partition. Just to to disk management and delete the partition.
If he does that, he will render his xp install unbootable. See my explanation above.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online