1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP Appearance changing after reboot

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Demon-Wolf, Mar 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Demon-Wolf

Demon-Wolf Thread Starter

Hi all

I am having a problem with one computer in the office. Login screen is all good looking and there are no issues. When anyone logs into the machine, the appearance of XP changes. Window headers get smaller, colours of a lot of things change and in general, the desktop looks odd.

I have tried changing themes within the XP style list (Blue, Silver, Olive), as well as tried to revert back to a previously saved theme, and while the major colours stay, text and many other colours change back to the wrong ones after reboot. So where the silver theme has a black text on silver gradient fill as a window header, after reboot, it has a white text on the silver gradient fill. Making it hard to read.

So we stick to blue for now. I have tried reinstalling the Luna themes that come with XP, still no improvement. System restore doesn't help. If I revert back to a classic theme, reboot, and it is as if I have changed nothing at all except that the style is in Windows Classic rather than XP Style.

I do suspect a virus has changed something somewhere although a number of up-to-date anti-virus applications have not turned up anything.

I have uploaded 2 pictures, one being the bugged PC, the other is one right next to it without any issues.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated in this.

Regards

Attached Files:

2. huggie54

huggie54

have you tried uninstalling/reinstalling display drivers

3. Demon-Wolf

Yes, thought it was that originally too. But then why would the login screen be ok?

4. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

Could there be a color profile set from your graphics card driver software? NVIDIA for instance, has a Control Panel to change that profile. If NvCplDaemon (NVIDIA Display Properties Extension) is in your Startup programs (msconfig), that profile will be loaded every time.

5. Demon-Wolf

No, it isn't that either. I have seen this on a few PCs and it is't related to hardware. Something is screwed with Windows.

If it was hardware, I wouldn't be able to change it to the right colours. Which I can do until the next reboot. And, hardware can't affect window heading bar size.

6. Hermitt43

Hermitt43

First Name:
    Jim
    How are you changing the colours?

7. Demon-Wolf

Be resetting it to the Xp Styles Blue theme under the Appearance tab. But after reboot, it reverts back to the wrong colours

8. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

Try the following fix: Save Settings on Exit

Save the .reg file to your desktop. Double-click it to merge it to the registry.

Reboot.

If the fix only opens as a text file, right-click it and select Open With > Choose Program... Then, select the Registry Editor.

If the Registry Editor is not in the list, browse to C:\WINDOWS and select regedit.

9. Hermitt43

Hermitt43

First Name:
    Jim
    Try applying the default LUNA.theme (Windows XP) listed under the Theme tab in the display properties window.
    If that doesn't hold it in memory on reboot, then apply it again, then click the "Save As" button and browse to C:\Windows\Resources\Themes and overwrite the default LUNA.theme file located there.

Hope this helps,
    Jim

10. Hermitt43

Hermitt43

First Name:
    Jim
    Phantom010, you can also Right-Click a .reg file and choose "Merge" to apply it.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/913779

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice