XP asking for non-existant password

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

MDarneille

I thought I would upgrade one of my computers to Windows XP Professional, so I sat down yesterday and did so. However, the "Welcome" screen wants a password the program didn't ask for. I can't get to a dos prompt to read the password file or to try to re-install. I can't get in as an administrator. Does anyone know how to either get to the dos prompt from the Welcome screen or how to get around this little problem? I am completely locked out of this computer at present.

what happens if you hit enter with no password ?
also - try booting into safe mode with F8 ?

MDarneille

It says "Did you forget your password? Please be sure to use the correct uppercase and lowercase letter." No option to reset. When I left click on the box it disappears. When I right click nothing happens.

MDarneille

MDarneille said:
It says "Did you forget your password? Please be sure to use the correct uppercase and lowercase letter." No option to reset. When I left click on the box it disappears. When I right click nothing happens. I did reboot in safe mode. I tried every mode listed on the Advanced Windows Option screen. Nothing worked.

What operating system did you upgrade from?
Did it have an adminstrator's password?

Otherwise, when you install XP, at some point during the process, you are asked to enter the administrator's password

If you can't figure it out any other way, there is a boot disk you can download at:
http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/

that will let you reset the password of any account on NT4, Windows2000 or XP.

Just follow all the default settings which are for the admin account. Used it many
times with great success.

They also have a bootable CD image you can download.

MDarneille

I previously had Windows ME on this particular computer. The only information the program asked me to key in was the key code and a user name. Everything else was click the box which was pretty basic setup default stuff I like to change when the program setup has finished and I can get into the program. I explored your link Bob, and the readme file on the boot disk says that the program only works with Linux. I am reluctant to try this. Thanks for your suggestions, any thing else.

Please read the information on that web site again. It creates a Linux boot floppy or CD. But it is for changing the password of any local account.

MDarneille

I downloaded the program and ran it. It worked like a charm!!!! I'm IN! THANK YOU, Bob !!!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts