1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Xp being stupid.

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Esky, Jan 25, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Esky

Esky Thread Starter

Ok i was using xp 2 days ago everythin kool installed norton ghost and quicktime then turned off the computah, next day it goes wierd and says XP is unable to validate the license or something. Error code 0x80004005. Or sumfin like this i went to Msoft site and 0x80004005 seems to be a a general error so that didnt help. I stopped some of the startup stuff in msconfig, didnt help either, created a new account didnt help. It has been working fine up until now. :confused: There are 2 hdd'z one 2 gig wit xp, One 60 gig wit Gamez and software etc. Can any1 help me its vital that i get it working again.......

Cheers,
    Esky

2. Jtoast

Jtoast

please post the EXACT, word for word error message.

quickfix if you dont want to mess with it would be to boot from your xp cdrom, hit enter for install, press f8 for the agreement, then choose (R) for a repair install.

will probably fix it but you may have to redo some of the updates.

3. Emtronics

Emtronics

Second thing to do (IMO) is to dump Norton.

4. Esky

Esky Thread Starter

Ive messed around wit msconfig done practically everything and it dont help. Cant find xp pro cd in the enormous pile, so would there be another option apart from repaiing it?

5. spiker_22

spiker_22

have you tried uninstalling the progs you installed before this happened?

Are the progs Hacked or cracked?

And did you try a system restore?

6. prunejuice

prunejuice

Where did you get your copy of XP?

Sounds like SP1 did you in, 30 days later.

7. Del

Del

Go to Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools and System Restore. If you have a restore point before the problem started and you can restore to that time, it should fix you problem.

8. Esky

Esky Thread Starter

No i have no system restore points, Prunejuice might be right. I uninstalled all progs and removed them from registry i still dont know what the problem is but thanx for help so far.

9. JJJecj71

JJJecj71

Driver signing wasn't right. You might what to try a rollback.

Goto My Computer and right click and then to properties, then to hardware/device Manager and you will see a yellow quotation mark. Then click on the problem and to properties and reasign the driver it used before hand as called a rollback but while loading the same programs up with windows Xp you just might still see this error until you have a device driver for windows Xp for the programs.

What ever you installed wasn't Designed for Microsoft Windows XP so uninstalling these programs is what I would do or going to the product website to see if they have updated drivers/patches for using the programs with windows XP.

GL
    J

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/115317

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice