XP Bewildered

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

AutomatedPro

I am looking for the answer(s) to several problems that I can't explain. So after reading this message hopefully someone will understand or have had these problems also.

1. Our environment is running Windows '98, second edition workstations(5), using DOS applications. (Unfortunately, no developers have designed a program in a Windows version of the type of business that we have). The network that these workstations are using is Novell NetWare v5.1 with Support Pack 6.

2. The network environment includes a 10Mbps hub, patch panel and cat5 cabling. All computers including fileserver have 10/100 Intel NIC's installed.

3. We have a DOS application that controls three of the front counter sales, back office workstation that controls the accounting matters and upstairs workstation that controls the parts.

The system works as expected in a Windows '98 environment. We added a Windows XP box because Windows '98 could not handle all of the functions that we needed.

Now, here's the kicker. With the Windows XP box on the network, the DOS application loses data that is to be written to its files. End of day reports out of the same program verifies the loss of data. The XP Box can just be idle, at the desktop, not in the DOS application and still data is lost from the files.

The Autoexec.NT and the Config.NT has been modified to handle the files and buffers for a DOS application. The correct settings have also been included for the application to execute properly in a DOS environment.

Can anyone please help me with this situation. I have exhausted my knowledge and know how when it comes to this matter.

PLEASE HELP!!!!!

Stephen Cummings

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online