1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP Black SAFE MODE Screen Freeze

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by afronate, Dec 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. afronate

afronate Thread Starter

I booted up my computer 3 days ago and logged in under my user name, and there were no desktop icons or taskbar, so I restarted my computer and tried every user, still nothing. I went to msconfig to restore it to a earlier point, and when it restarted I went to my user name, and still nothing so I went to msconfig again and booted it up in safe mode, when it restarted, right before the user names screen came up, a black screen with "SAFE MODE" in all four corners pops up for about 3 or 4 seconds, then the user name screen comes up with the ADMIN and the rest of the user names, it doesn't matter what name I log in as it always goes to the same black Safe Mode screen as before but it will freeze there forever. So I had to manually shut it down. When it restarted I hit F8 to get it out of safe mode and chose restart computer normally, then when it restarts the same exact thing thing happens. I've tried every option at the F8 selection screen. So I put in a cd with Mepis Linux on it that my cousin gave me, but I didn't install it I have been running it off the disk. And I have no clue what to do next.

My Specs are: AMD Athlon 2.0 ghz
    Windows XP Home Edition (Service Pack 2)
    512 MB DDR
    150 GB Hard Drive
    ATI Radeon 9600

-Does anybody know how to do a system restore in Mepis Linux without reformatting the whole computer

2. Sponsor

3. afronate

afronate Thread Starter

Is there a MSCONFIG for Linux?

4. Anthony:-P

Anthony:-P

Hi, and welcome.
    Firstly I do not know how to use Linux, and I persoanally think that you would be better off posting this topic in the UNIX/LINUX section aswell.
    I can however try to help with the windows XP problem.
    A video card can also have these settings improperly set or corrupt drivers may also cause the video resolution to be set to this resolution, which would give you the impression that you are in safe mode, when actually you are in normal mode.
    So if you have your disc with your video card, try re-installing all of the drivers.
    If this works, I can then help you with getting back all of your icons on your desktop.

NOTE: FOr full details please visit http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000597.htm

5. afronate

afronate Thread Starter

I have my ATI Catalyst CD but in Linux when I try to open any .exe file, the "Open With" window pops up, and I dont know how to install WINE or WINEX.

6. Draken

Draken

By the sounds of it, that windows XP install is screwed if you can't even get explorer to start properly in safe mode. Best you can do is either a reinstall it seems or use ASR if you made a recovery disk. Either that, or wait around and see what other people give you

7. afronate

afronate Thread Starter

How do I install winsows xp without a disk In Mepis Linux?

8. afronate

afronate Thread Starter

I need to get my Windows Xp PID, and I don't know how to do it in Linux. Does anybody know.

9. afronate

afronate Thread Starter

Can anybody tell me how to install both Windows Xp and Linux.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!