XP black screen after logon, no mouse, etc.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

tiiguy

I turned on my computer this morning and after getting the normal logon screen, everything turned black, no mouse or anything else (I read about similar problems that have the mouse or task bar or at least something, but I get nothing). The monitor light stays on, showing it's getting a signal.

Tried rebooting several times. One time I did see the normal desktop appear for a split second after the computer was sitting untouched for a while, so thought it might be the video card.

I went to safe mode and did a system restore, thinking that might fix something. Safe mode ran fine, so I don't think it's the monitor or graphics card.

After System Restore, I started Windows in normal mode and now it blacks out before even giving me the logon screen.

I'm running XP home, sp3 on a Core 2 duo, with a geforce 7100 card. Never had any problems before.

Any help would be appreciated. Thx.

if you have a flat screen monitor the problem may be that your monitor doesn't support the screen resolution you are using in normal mode. to check borrow a regular monitor just long enough to test if screen comes up is so change resolution settings then plug into your monitor. I have done this on one other system and it was the fix.

tiiguy

Hi RobOman,

Thanks for the suggestion, but the monitor isn't new, been using if for years.

I did a chkdsk but still have problems.

Any other help out there?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online