XP Black Screen - no boot option work after error: "WINLOGON.EXE - Bad Image"

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Trond1970

After browsing through many of the threads here I have decided to post my own as I am unable to come to any conclusions.

MSI, Pentium 4 1.9GHz, 2x60 GB HD (Maxtor ???), 2x256MD DDR-266

It won´t boot at all - none of the F8 boot options work, which I have tried several times after recieving the following error:

Dialog Box Heading: WINLOGON.EXE - Bad Image
Message (not exactly): c:\windows\WnSxS\xxxxxxxxxWindows.Common.Controlsxxxxxxxxxxxx - bad image

I have used the Recovery Console to browse around a bit to see if I can trace what happened, find suspisious files, looking at *.log files etc. Nothing.

All attempts to boot (all boot options) result in the same situation: the regular WinXP load screen appears, then it turns black, mouse appears and there I sit waiting for the login screen. I am still able to move mouse, but no other actions have any effect.

I have had the machine for 2 years and never had any serious issues and I have kept drivers and Xp updated (except I haven´t installed SP2 yet).

Thanks for anything that might help.

PS! Reinstall is not an option (yet)

TROND

Trond1970

natcom said:
have you try a repair install of windows xp ?

Not yet - I was hoping to avoid this if possible. At least until I know the cause.

Trond

well i said the cause is virus related if you have another computer around take the drive out and put as slave and scan for virus with everything you got

also can be HD errors in the recovery console do this commad

CHKDSK /R /F or CHkdsk /p

and try to repair the MBR do the fixboot commad as well

Trond1970

natcom said:
also can be HD errors in the recovery console do this commad

CHKDSK /R /F or CHkdsk /p

and try to repair the MBR do the fixboot commad as well

Thanks - I will try this - I have a suspision that virus is the cause. I have ruled out HW issues, as the PC will not hang/stop, but simple be left in a state where it is running, but it´s not continuing its booth process.

Since I have no PC at the moment I am running between Internet Cafe and home, trying different approaches - sorry for the late reply.

Trond1970

I think I need to clarify one issue:

As I mentioned earlier - my PC boots until just before the login screen should appear - and the screen left black (I can move the mouse ontop of a black screen).

In SAFE mode - it basically boots until the same place, I can still move the mouse around on a blcak screen, and the "Safe Mode" markers (in each corner) is visible - so is the XP build.

For you experienced users:
After I boot with boot diskettes (to DOS), I can inspect the different files being accessed. Since it´s been a couple of days since I´ve had the problems, I can now see which files are being accessed during the boot process. The following files have are being accessed during boot (as the machine is now:

CSRSS.EXE
SERVICES.EXE
SVCHOSTS.EXE
AUTOCHK.EXE
LSASS.EXE
LOGONUI.EXE
NTVDM.EXE
WINLOGON.EXE
SMSS.EXE

These are the only files in %systemroot%\WINDOWS\system32 that are being accessed as the boot proceeds now.
Maybe this can give someone a clue as to when my boot (in what module/exe file) stops.

Regards,
Trond

Question: Anyone know what the WINDOWS sub-folder: WinSxS is usedfor / belongs to?????
(This is where I had my original error message)

well black screens on windows xp can be many things but most of the time are related to video display drivers and viruses if i was you i save sometime and do the repair install but if time is not a problem for you we can try others things

you can try this
boot with the CD and select recovery console then issue these commands

FIXMBR C:
FIXBOOT C:
bootcfg /rebuild

Trond1970

I am back online after having to completely rebuild my PC. After having tried all tips and advise - repair didn't work (twice) either. I parallell-installed a fresh version and spent some time trying to find out what happened, but I am not able to conclude what happend. I suspect some registry corruption. Now I am back on a re-formatted HD and just wanted to extend my thanks to all.

I also suspect I might have some power-supply problems. Any good program suggestions?

It's late to help you but for anybody else with the same problem...before fixing and reformating your computer because of black screen let it sit for awhile (several minutes), chances are that it will eventualy fire up.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online