1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP blue screen crashing

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by manudaNZ, Nov 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. manudaNZ

manudaNZ Thread Starter

Hi there.

Just recently my computer has been crashing on me when I'm watching U-tube videos. It seems to be especially when I change the video settings to HD. Crashing has only bee n hapening in the last week or 2.

I didn't have this problem before and had the computer for 5 years or so.

I have uploaded my windows/Minidump files to here

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows XP Professional, Service Pack 3, 32 bit
    Processor: Intel Pentium III Xeon processor, x86 Family 6 Model 23 Stepping 6
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 2047 Mb
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 9600 GT, 512 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 305234 MB, Free - 60035 MB; E: Total - 76308 MB, Free - 53545 MB;
    Motherboard: ASUSTeK Computer INC., P5KPL
    Antivirus: None

I have Norton Internet Security so i don't know why it says None??

I had a look at the event viewer but I did not find any errors. When My computer restarts It comes up with a dialog saying Windows encountered an error do you wish to report this to Microsoft.. or something like that anyhow. And when I do it opens up a page saying it cannot diagnose the problem.

Any help would be most apreciated.

regards
    Manu.da

2. Mark1956

Mark1956

Hi, the two most likely causes of this problem will be your RAM or the graphics card or driver.

With the power disconnected, remove the graphics card and clean the contacts with a soft pencil eraser and blow out the slot on the motherboard and the cards fan/heatsink with a can of compressed air (available from any computer store). Refit the card, boot up the PC and see if there is any improvement, if not continue with the next set of instructions.

•Download the latest graphics driver from the Nvidia site for your card and version of windows and save it to the desktop.
    •Go into Device Manager and locate the graphics card under Display Adapters, right click on it and select Uninstall.
    •Run through this routine and locate any/all graphics drivers and delete them. Do not reboot, just close all the boxes to get back to the desktop.
    •Double click on the driver that you saved to your desktop to install it.
    •Now reboot and check the PC's performance.

If the problem persists now follow the next set of instructions to test the RAM.

3. manudaNZ

manudaNZ Thread Starter

Ahh... It was my graphics driver. I have just recently updated to the latest driver from Nvidia. Once again Nvidia stuffs up my computer because of a bad upgrade :( This has happened to me many times before so I dont very often upgrade my driver unless I really need to.

I rolled back to the driver I was using previously and all my problems disapreared.

Incidentally I tried the steps you said to try above and this totally locked up my computer and uninstalling the driver kept failing. After lots of reboots I finally uninstalled the nvidia control panel using the add/remove option in control panel. I would suggest that in future you should say to do it this way rather than your systems backdoor procedure. IMHO it would be more helpful I feel.

Regards
    Manu.da

4. Mark1956

Mark1956

I am glad you found the problem and have it resolved.

I have recommended the process described above countless number of times and have, until now, not known it to cause a lock up before. I have no idea why this caused a problem on your PC. I shall edit the canned response to include using Add/Remove to avoid this happening again, so thanks for pointing this out.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!