1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP blues

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by padutch, Feb 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. padutch

padutch Thread Starter

Just installed XP Pro on my Gateway. Have 3 problems.
    Problem no. 1 : Because of my eyesite I always have my screen resolution set at 640 by 480. On the computer with XP it is not avalible. Is there different drivers or a program that will let me make 640 by 480 avalable? If so how do I go about this?
    Problem no. 2 : I have 2 computers that are virtually the same. Both have XP Pro opperating system. I am the webmaster for a couple of sites. On one site ( http://www.suziem.com/ ) a country western site, there is a menue at the left of the site. On one computer the menue will display on the other is will not. The menue is an applet code . Is there a setting on the second computer that I am missing to display this menue?
    Problem no. 3 : for years I used Norton. When I loaded XP I used it a day or so and then loaded Norton on that PC. It slowed it down very much. So much that I took it back off. Now I need a suggestion on what virus scan will be as good as Norton but not slow my PC down so much.
    Thanks
    Rick

2. wacor

wacor Banned

Problem 1 Go to the Gateway web site and go to support. I am guessing maybe you are missing a driver and you can download drivers that would have come with the computer there>

Problem 2 Sorry, cant help you there

Problem 3 AVG has a free anti virus program that a lot of people here recommend and has worked fine for me. and Zone Alarm has a free firewall that also seems fine.

3. 1_rob_1

1_rob_1

Prob1: as wocorsaut posted.

Prob2: The menu is in java, Microsoft no longer fully supports java and it has to be downloaded. Info, download & any fix can be accessed from this page: http://www.java.com/en/download/help/enable_browser.xml

Prob 3: Again as posted earlier, AVG

4. padutch

padutch Thread Starter

Ok, Problem 1 : I have the original software from Gateway so I should be able to get the drivers from them. Now the only problem is what drivers are used for desplay? Are they the ones for sounds and video, desplay or what ?
    Problem 2 is taken care of. Thanks Rob
    Problem 3: Really not looking for a free virus scan but one that is as good as Norton but won't slow my PC down as much.
    Thanks
    Rick

5. wacor

wacor Banned

I would download all the drivers that came on the restore disc.

It is not just that AVG free is free. it is a good AV Many of the moderators here recommend it and I dont notice any slowdown

6. blues_harp28

blues_harp28 Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

7. 1_rob_1

1_rob_1

Avg is one of the best av progs available at the moment, and it doesnt hog as many resources as norton.

The sound & video drivers should be on the restore cd, if they are not, go to the gateway site & download these drivers from there, make sure they are for your exact model of pc.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/444957

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice