1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP Boot Entry Point

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by xboates, Sep 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. xboates

xboates Thread Starter

After searching for needed updates in the Microsoft site, I was advised to download and install service pack 1 and then return to do a second search to download the balance of needed updates.

After the service pack was downloaded, and I had clicked on downloading the set of updates received in the second search, I was advised that some of them could not be downloaded. I then had a window come up advising me to restart my computer for the downloads to become effective.

After clicking on the restart, the computer shut down and started to reboot. I had a short-lived screen of the XP LOGO and then received the following message in a Winlogon.exe window: "Entry point not founds. The procedure entry point AssocIsDangerous could not be located in the dynamic link library SHLWAPI.dll." My only choice was to click on OK.

The next window that came up was a User Interface Failure window advising: "The logon user interface DLL.msgina.dll failed to load. Contact your system administrator to replace the DLL or restore the original DLL."

After turning off the computer and then back on I had a screen requesting that I select which mode I wanted to start in or to go back to the most previous settings. It did not matter which I selected, all I ever got from there was the same sequence of messages as above.

This is on an Emachine T1440 running Windows XP home edition.

Any solution other than restore disks?

Thank you all!

2. Cookies

Cookies

This fellow has the same trouble from one of the service packs.

http://dbforums.com/t915608.html

Try start/run, type in "command". Then "sfc /scannow" and have your xp cd handy. If you are missing a .dll it should prompt you for the xp cdr.

You can also try removing the patches, a few at a time; but reboot afterward before uninstalling more. See if you can determine if it's patch that doesn't play nice with your system.

PS: Welcome :)

3. xboates

xboates Thread Starter

Hi Cookies:
    Thank you for the information. If I ever see a desktop and start button again I will certainly follow your advice.

I guess I did not make my problem really clear. I cannot get beyond a black screen with the User Interface Failure window on it. The only "color" I get is the very short XP logo at the very beginning.

I printed out your directions and will try them as soon as I am able to get that far into the system. Thank you again!

Bill

4. Cookies

Cookies

5. xboates

xboates Thread Starter

Thanks, Cookies. I will give the CD a try.
    And, I do not have a recovery disk. The comptuter is relatively new and I have failed to what should be done first!

Thanks again. I will post the outcome.

6. xboates

xboates Thread Starter

Hello again:

Microsoft tech support came to my resque but I had to download 6 disks of Windows XP first.

We renamed, copied, renamed, copied, and so on for about two hours and finally got the computer to boot. Some of the files had to be copied from one sup-directorn and some from another. We went through four or five Microsoft tech pages before it was fixed.

All worked well for about a week and then I had a message that an upgrade was available. So, without even thinking, I clicked on the go ahead button and away the update came in.

You can probably guess the rest. My computer would not reboot, same Entry Point error messages.

I called Microsoft tech support and we went at it again - of course it was not the same tech person. I explained what had happened, gave them the case number, and we started over at absolutely zero except that I did not have to download the 6 disks of XP. I also advised the tech that I had copied the I386 folder and had it burned on a CD. I understand this is some sort of "fixit" files.

After about an hour of no success, we started having a crackle on the line. I mentioned that we were getting some interence but the Tech said he knew what it was. He confirmed my phone number, told me to hang up and he would call me right back. That was last week! I don't think I can wait any longer for the call back.

I guess next week we will start all over again. It would probably be cheaper to just go out and buy the XP upgrade. Microsoft will not send you disks if your OEM has chosen not to include them with your computer. According to Microsfot, inclusion of the Windows disks or progarm on CD is the choice of the OEM and not Microsoft.

Any further suggestions?

Thanks again.

Bill

7. Cookies

Cookies

I'd call MS and throttle them.

I'd give them one more chance to help you resolve the issue. If they cannot, tell them you want this escalated to level 2 or 3 support.

Two other things you might try are:

a) boot to safe and see if you can restore the system to the brief period when it worked (after tech support #1);

b) you indicated the PC was relatively new -- check with the seller and see if you can solicit their assistance.

8. xboates

xboates Thread Starter

Thank you, Cookies. I am going to call MS tomorrow when I return to my office. As you may well imagine, I am not very happy with them.

I will also try your two suggestions. I will let you know what the final outcome is if I live that long!

Thanks again

Bill

9. Cookies

Cookies

Best of luck to you :)

10. xboates

xboates Thread Starter

This is the end............

The Microsoft tech elivated the tech support call. However, he advised that I would need a copy of XP Home Edition Upgrade in order to even get in to pickup any files I might want to save. (They gave up on attempting to Fix this copy as when it is updated it would crash again)

When the Tech called back to set a date to call back (!) and do the actual "fix" he also said I would need a copy of the XP disk. He said I might just "borrow" one from a friend(!) In any event, we had to buy a copy.

When the tech called back to do the actual work, we did a parallel install. I was able to get into the data, save what I wanted, and then shut down. At that point, I had to use my recovery disk from E-Machines and start over. I lost all the Point of Sale installation which will be expensive to have installed again.

This time I will use Norton's Ghost to burn a CD once all is installed.

Thanks again for your suggestions and help!

Bill

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!