1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP Boot Hang... at black screen "Loading Windows XP"

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by jibberia, Dec 1, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jibberia

jibberia Thread Starter

I have a no-activation volume license version of XP Pro. My friend used this exact CD (burned from an ISO) to upgrade one of his computers from winME to XP. I have gone through hell with it. Long story short, the installation goes fine, and when its all done, on the first boot, I see the black "Loading Windows XP" screen that usually appears for a very short time. The progress bar moves about halfway across (actually not a bar, its just 3 blue blobs, but it works the same way), the 3 lights on my keyboard (numlock, capslock, scrollock) flash, and it hangs. I can then turn numlock on and off, but not capslock or scrollock. Ctrl-alt-delete doesn't work. I can boot into safe mode. I have tried reinstalling it, even gone to the point of reformatting my drive. Still no go. I KNOW that XP will work on this machine, as I ran a beta of it hitch-free for 15 days (until I had to activate:). My machine is more than powerful enough. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

2. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

My thoughts are that some systems require enhanced software made specifically for them. Hewlett Packard is one , They are propriety systems & nothing except HP's softwear will work for Windows on an HP PC.

Could this be something to do with that??

Savvy :)

3. jibberia

jibberia Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply, but no, this is a microsft release of XP, the same one released to all the big corporations who buy a volume license so they don't have to go through hellish product activation. It worked fine on my friends computer (a dell, but those computers don't use specialized hardware like compaq or HP might.)
    Thanks!

4. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

did you do an f/disk before installing it?

5. jibberia

jibberia Thread Starter

You mean did I partition?
    My disk already was partitioned into 15gb and 5gb. I formatted each of these partitions before this installation (actually after numerous other failed installations.)
    I'm sort of getting the feeling that this is BIOS related (and more specifically ACPI)... looking in the event log in safe mode reveals numerous ACPI errors. The machine crashes before a boot log can be initiated on a normal boot, so I can't really see whats killing me...
    Any other suggestions?

6. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

ok... this is more than I know so will see if I can get you some help......... sorry I couldn't.

Savvy :)

7. jibberia

jibberia Thread Starter

Well thank you very much.

8. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Hi jibberia and welcome to the forum. I'm afraid I don't really have the XP knowledge to answer your question here, but I do feel obligated to clarify the issue of "legitimacy"

If I am misinterpreting what you are trying to do, my apologies, and please clarify the situation for us. But as much as you and I may not like the MS "product activation" business, we are constrained to abide by the rules and not assist or give advice on finding ways to circumvent it. It does sound like that is what you are asking us to do here...

9. jibberia

jibberia Thread Starter

The product activation has nothing to do with this problem, I shouldnt have even bothered to mention it. I'm not circumventing it, I have the volume license, thats all. I haven't "cracked" it. It's legit.
    I just need help getting WinXP Professional working.

10. Cosmoe

Cosmoe

doubt this will help but when i first installed XP my system hung at the boot logo aswell becasue of my firewire harddrive (thinks it a network conection for some reason and trys to boot to it i believe) so if you have any firewire device or possibly even a usb device try booting without them.

ah well goodluckzors

11. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

12. BML

BML

Jibberia, i have the same as you. And mine is an HP computer.

I did an fdisk, made only one partition, and it installed and loads just fine. i think you're on the right track about it being BIOS related. is there any way you can update your BIOS? Maybe if you have an older version its causing a problem.

13. jibberia

jibberia Thread Starter

Well I guess I'm lucky not having an HP, mine's homemade. I use no USB or firewire peripherals (except for a digital camera I ALMOST never use, but its not installed.)
    I would use one partition, but I need to dualboot with 98 for Pro Tools audio software.
    I'll look into updating my BIOS, though it bugs me out that the XP beta worked, and the final doesnt. I don't think I've changed any BIOS settings since then... I might try the "fail-safe" option, to neutralize all settings.
    Thanks everyone! I'll get back to you on how I'm doing...

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/60300

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice