1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP boot hard disk limits

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by klingenfelter, Jun 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. klingenfelter

klingenfelter Thread Starter

I've not been able to get a 750 GByte SATA hard disk drive to accept an install of Windows XP, yet the restore disk for this mackine (eMachines T6520) installs fine on a 200 GByte IDE disk. When I format this large drive using windows XP disk manager I get a message "this disk may not be bootable due the number of cylinders" I'm paraphrasing here.

Is there an upper limit to disk size or other disk parameters into order to install windows xp.

Thanks

Keith Lingenfelter

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

Is this SP2 or "Gold"?

3. klingenfelter

Well It's an old version dated in 1995. When installed I update it to service pack 2.

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

Well, there was no XP in 1995, but maybe you found some copyright date for "Windows".

The original XP will not recognize or format disks over 137 GB. You will need SP2 for that.

I highly recommend creating a "slipstreamed" XP installation CD that has SP2 already included in the setup. That will allow you one, single installation without all the problems of upgrading to SP2, and you will have the needed SP2 CD to perform repairs on your installation once it is all set up.

You will thank yourself for taking the time to do this.

http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sp2_slipstream.asp
    http://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/System-Tweak/Autostreamer.shtml

------------------------------------

The other choice is to partition the drive before installation. Create a smaller partition for XP, and then install SP2. After that, you can use a partitioner to expand the original XP partition to include the whole disk. But I wouldn't follow this route, frankly.

5. klingenfelter

Well I likely got the date wrong. I bought the PC several years ago, but for sure itÂ’s pre-Service Pack 2. Also the hard drive originally installed (200Gbytes) was partitioned with a recovery partition. The boot partition was about 135 GBytes, the remainder was the recovery partition. So you have likely solved my problem. When the recovery process is done with the SATA 750 GByte drive it seems to complete but then won't boot. It stalls and then restarts continually until I shut it off manually. It also tries to partition the big drive for a 137 GByte boot sector but seems to fail at this. It remains unallocated when I look at its properties using XP disk manager tools when the PC is then booted with the original 137 GByte drive. When booted from the original drive this big drive can be formatted and it will recover its full size, I just cannot make it the boot drive.
    Anyways, it seems that the slipstreamed XP installation CD that has SP2 already included in the setup fixes this.
    Thanks
    Keith Lingenfelter

6. klingenfelter

Also I did try to pre-partition the big drive with the same result; installation seems complete but won't boot and continually restarts. So I agree with your advice; don't try this. I'll post results after I do the slipstream and report results

Again Thanks

Keith Lingenfelter

7. Elvandil

Elvandil

I think you are making the right decision. It's really hard to predict what an installer will do under all circumstances when it misreads the disk size. But the results are bound not to be good ones.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/585988

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice