1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP boot problem

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by kylake, Jul 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kylake

kylake Thread Starter

My wife's computer at school is having a boot problem. Computer turns on and the screen shows up showing XP loading then the screen just goes black....not blue.....no error messages.
    I can boot it in "safe mode" and wanted to do a system restore but evidently system restore is turned off in safe mode so I cannot do that.

I tried to boot several times in normal mode and I would get the XP is loading screen followed by a black screen with nothing on it.

Any suggestions.....how do I need to proceed to give you guys more information that I know you will need.

Thanks in advance for any and all help.

2. Old Rich

Old Rich

When you boot to safe mode, have you tried " Last known good configuration" ?

3. kylake

kylake Thread Starter

First thanks for the speedy reply. The answer is no I haven't done that. Exactly where would I look for the option to do that in safe mode?

Actually when the computer first boots there is a dos screen and "Last known good configuration" is an option. I did it from that screen and had the same results....XP is loading screen followed by a black empty screen.

But I have not done that from safe mode and don't know were to look for that option while in safemode.

4. Old Rich

Old Rich

If it would not do it from that screen, it probably won't in safe mode but you could try . . tap F8 repeatedly when you turn the machine on

Only other course I can see is a repair install:

5. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

Not meaning to throw a wet towel on anything but you said, "My wife's computer at school is having a boot problem." I wonder about this basically because this is at school. Whether or not she works there os being a student there may be a problem of responsibility of someone other than the school IT department fixing this. If someone else tries to fix this there might be a responsibility thing on us trying to fix this computer. If it was her own private computer at home this would not bother me, but is it not the schools responsibility to fix their own computers?

6. Old Rich

Old Rich

Good Point . . however, if her school support is anything like my daughters, it will be next year by the time they fix it

7. kylake

kylake Thread Starter

simpswr and ozrom1e thanks for the support and suggestions. ozrome I thought about what you said (actually before you said it) and I will give the tech guy in a school system a shot at fixing it.......just so he cannot say I screwed it up. Simpswr you are correct and it might be a long time before it is looked into and maybe he cannot fix it. Like I said, I will give him shot.....if he cannot fix it I have no problem giving "repair install" a try but the one problem may be that my wife doesn't have the XP cd that came with the computer. I do have an XP cd here at home but it came with the computer here and is probably OEM and I doubt that it will work with her computer since they are two different brands. So what do you think now?

8. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

Sounds good to me and you will still have a job and that makes me feel as good as can be.

Take care.

9. Old Rich

Old Rich

The school admin guy almost surely has the install cd that came with her pc . .

10. kylake

kylake Thread Starter

My wife will turn it in tomorrow to the tech guy in the system. It may be a while before he gets to it and I will let the board know the results when he does. Thanks again for all the support and help(y)

11. Old Rich

Old Rich

12. kylake

kylake Thread Starter

Well, I told you I would get back when the problem was resolved and here I am.
    The tech support for the system arrived today, in the meantime my wife had found the XP cd to reload that specific computer with.
    He wiped it clean and did an install and it is up and running. I am sure that was the quickest way for him to do the job.
    I would have liked to try what had been suggested in this thread....but

My wife did save here docs. using the floppy in safemode. Question...could she have used the cd burner in safemode....he told her she could not and I never checked to see if it would work in safemode...

Thanks again for all the help........it only took him a month or thereabouts to have time to deal with the problem. She turned it in two weeks before school started.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/485454

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice