1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

xp boot problems

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by bob_greenock, Jul 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bob_greenock

bob_greenock Thread Starter

hi guys ;), right i went to repair a pc tonight that was not booting up, it got to the windows XP screen(the XP screen during boot) then the computer turned itself off, done the same when trying to boot to safe mode and the other options etc.....

went into the recovery console and tryed chkdsk /p /r <<<< this got to 70% and then kept jumping back to 60% and kept looping!!!! which really done my head in!!!!(n)

tryed chkdsk on its own, worked fine but as its not retreiving anything, done nothing, tryed chkdsk /r ,looped after 70% again, bummer

tryed fixboot, copyed ntdetect.com and ntldr from cd to c:, still to know avail

tryed a repair installation, again same problem!!!

so came to the conclusion that i had to format the drive and install xp from scratch, which of course worked:)

so my question is, what could i have done that would have fixed this problem without the last option of mine >>> a new xp installation?? and was the problem due to a badly maintained operating system with loads of virus?

2. paul_doo

paul_doo

In the recovery console try fixboot, and fixmbr..also in the bios turn off over shadowing an if possible turn to default setup, than turn back to optimal after all is running well.

3. happyrck

happyrck

you could have tried this..
    Use the bootcfg command for boot configuration and recovery (boot.ini for most computers).

The bootcfg command with the parameters listed below is only available when you are using the Recovery Console The bootcfg command with different parameters is available from the command prompt.

Usage:

bootcfg /rebuild

Iterate through all Windows installations and allow the user to choose which to add.

4. jmatt

jmatt

Once you have your comp updated, slipsteam XP & you can use this repair command.

Reinstall WindowsXP and keep all your current installed applications and settings:
    Put your XP cd in the drive.
    Start > All Programs > Accessories > Command Prompt or, Start > click Run, type cmd and click OK.
    Copy & paste > D:\I386\winnt32 /unattend
    Press Enter.
    If you have i386 on your drive, you can replace D: with the location of it.
    If you have SP2 installed, you will need to upgrade the XP CD, this is done by slipstreaming.
    Universal Windows Slipstreaming and Bootable CD Guide
    http://www.msfn.org/articles.php?action=show&showarticle=49
    http://www.short-media.com/review.php?r=284&p=2
    http://www.informationweek.com/security/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=47212312&pgno=1&queryText=
    A service pack is a product-specific collection of updates that fix security, program compatibility and system reliability issues. It also provides enhancements, administration tools, drivers and additional components that have been developed since the product's release. In short, a service pack helps to keep your product current and extends its functionality.
    This guide will describe the easiest way possible to slipstream (also known as 'Integrate') a Service Pack into Windows 2000, XP or 2003. The days of typing out command switches, and fiddling with boot sectors and ISO settings in Nero are long gone, so none of that will be described here! :)
    To do this, we will only need one program - MSFN's very own popular nLite created by one of our members nuhi. While nLite is primarily aimed to remove components to slim down a Windows CD, it has the required tools to do just an automated Service Pack slipstream as well as create a CD image.
    http://www.nliteos.com/
    Prerequisites:
    A Windows 2000, XP, or 2003 CD
    The latest "Network Install" Service Pack for one of the above Operating Systems
    Suitable CD Burning software capable of burning .ISO files (Nero, Alcohol, Easy CD Creator, etc.)
    nLite
    Before we start, make sure you are doing this on an NT Operating System (those are Windows 2000, XP or 2003) otherwise the slipstream will not work. nLite also requires the .NET Framework to function.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/482981

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice