1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP Boot Repair with CD

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by ontheisle, Mar 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ontheisle

ontheisle Thread Starter

Original problem: Windows XP won't boot in any manner (safe mode, last known config, etc.). Have XP CD, and have tried to address the problem 2 ways, both resulting in points of confusion that I hope someone can explain and help me with.

When I select "Set Up" (with a plan to choose repair under that option, the first screen that comes up after loading reads as follows:

The following list shows the existing partitions and unpartitioned space on this computer.
    Use the UP and DOWN ARROW keys to select an item in the list.
    *To set up Windows XP on the selected item, press ENTER.
    *To create a partition in the unpartitioned space, press C.
    *To delete the selected partition, press D.

[Then there's a box with this in it]

Unknown Disk
    (There is no disk in this drive.)
    76317 MB Disk 0 at Id 0 on bus 0 on atapi [MBR]

E: Partition1 [NTFS] 75179 MB (44992 MB free)
    - : Partition 2 (EISA Utilities) 1137 MB ( 195 MB free)

NOTE THE "E" DRIVE, WHICH CONTAINS THE CD ... SHOULDN'T I BE SEEING MY "C" DRIVE? Chickened out on repair at this point! Exit.

Next, I begin again and chose Recovery Console. After everything is loaded via the CD, the next screen gives me only the choice of repairing, again, drive "E".

Does this make sense? Do I proceed, and if so, how? If not, what could be going on?

ANY ASSISTANCE WILL BE APPRECIATED!!!

2. bhahar84

bhahar84

Hi ontheisle :)

Do you have a two disk on your computer, which is 80GB each? Did you try to unplug and try to plug the C: drive on other computer and see if the computer can boot up fine?

3. ontheisle

ontheisle Thread Starter

I'm afraid you've lost me there ... as far as I know (which seems to be less and less the more I fool with this!) there's only the one hard disk. I have no clue about plugging and unplugging drives. I do have a second computer (laptop, which I'm using now) but would be hesitant to start trial and error type stuff with it!

Does the aforementioned "E" drive suggest to you that there's a second hard drive?

4. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

The drive labeled E: is not the CD-ROM drive. That has to be your main system drive since it's the only one listed. Some history and information on the system would help.

5. ontheisle

ontheisle Thread Starter

Hmmm, curiouser and curiouser. Would something, virus or whatever, rename my drive? Since I don't have access to system info or logs from the computer itself, I'll tell you what I know: 4 year-old custom PC, AMD Athlon 2400, 512 Ram, 80 GB harddrive, XP Home, typical components of CD and floppy drives, modem, graphics card, etc. Have had no big problems with it, certainly nothing to approach this. I have Norton 360 on it and several other safe-guards that alerted me to nothing. If there was a "trigger" event to cause it, the only thing I can think of is an automatic program update installed during the session prior to it not booting.

I just tried disabling automatic restart on system failure in the Advanced Options Menu (not sure why) and at least got a stop error screen with the following tech info:
    STOP: 0x0000007B (0xF79EE528, 0xC0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)
    Will check that out at Microsoft.

Only other potential clue may be that, when I try to boot it in safe mode, I get a quickly scrolling screen listing various items having to do with multi-disk/rdisk/partition/l and things like System 32 and Drivers, which may be entirely normal.

Thanks so much for your reply and interest. Here's hoping I've given you something useful to work with!

6. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

I've never done a Windows repair so I can't comment on the details of the procedure. Just wanted to point out that the E: drive isn't an optical drive.

7. ontheisle

ontheisle Thread Starter

It IS comforting to know that what I consider my C drive isn't missing, just apparently renamed. A search on that subject indicates it's not an uncommon occurrence, especially after recent use of flash drives or card readers, both of which I've done in recent weeks. Thanks for your imput ... I think I'll give it a day or so to see what other info I get before attempting to repair my E drive.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/697328

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice